I'm a Dealer Rep!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you don't see how it oscillates, you don't understand how it works. Without that knowledge you cannot appraise it's strength nor durability with any accuracy.

I would be more happy to explain what I know and listen to any points or concerns if you're interested. I also have little trouble pointing out strengths and weaknesses of most any machine including the ones I am a commissioned rep for.

However, if your sole intent is to come on my thread and kick uneducated mud in my direction, please excuse yourself promptly.

I'm calm as deep water, just letting you know that I'd had enough of that particular game. :lol:

It's powered by a 47hp Yanmar.

Next week, if the weather cooperates, I'll make a video on the articulation joint. It uses 3 spherical bearings, one at the bottom, then two at the top. The top link allows for the oscillation, which is limited by the vertical stop on either side of the link. With minor exception, this keeps the bearings loaded radially. Granted I've not had to change the bearings yet, but after you block up the machine, each bearing is held with a large bolt, and a snap ring. I would think you could change all 3 without splitting the machine fully (leaving the hoses etc attached between the front and rear).

peburuge.jpg

I already shot some video for the differential locks, haven't edited it yet, though.

Front and rear.

Incase I haven't mentioned it, we (Top Notch) have a 15" wide turf tire option for the 340. The stock tires are 12.5" wide.

I'll look up the bearings cost tomorrow. Currently I'm headed to Missouri, figure I ought not get the laptop out!

List price, the upper bearings (2) are $58.09 each, the single lower bearing is $82.32. That's $198.50 for all three.

I want to say that the bearings on the r520 aren't much more, but the labor cost to have a mechanic split the machine is the kicker. I just had the parking brake assemblies rebuilt on my newer machine (from being engaged while still rolling) and the bearings, all of the seals and labor was 1,200$ at the kubota shop.

:lol:

If they made proportionally wider tires, I wish they made an 840! Hypothetically: 3300lb working capacity, 11-12' of height, 65hp, high flow aux hydraulics, cab and air, around 9-10klbs, 60-66" wide, ~15' long.... yeah, that would be sick!

What is the load capacity of the 540 at full height in a turn? And nick, I have two kubota R520 and an R520s, but we regularly load full sized dump trucks, so height was key

I'll say that after seeing and working with Keith, I don't know if a 540 would suit him well. The extra 10" or 11" of lift height the kubota has(I'm pretty sure that's the number) is key for him. They own two full sized dump trucks and he rocks a grapple bucket, so he needs to be able to reach over the side. Not only that, but after seeing him stuff a truck, any extra reach he can get he puts to use.

Now, if Gehl would just take Carl's idea and make an 840, then everyone would be happy and it would just crap over all other loaders. A 840 would be a sweet machine. A machine that size would be perfect for Keith, he'd have no troubles then.

:lol:

If they made proportionally wider tires, I wish they made an 840! Hypothetically: 3300lb working capacity, 11-12' of height, 65hp, high flow aux hydraulics, cab and air, around 9-10klbs, 60-66" wide, ~15' long.... yeah, that would be sick!

Someone at Gehl needs to wise up and hire you as a sub contractor or something for loader design haha. I'd love a machine like that.

Haha sounds fun. Dave and I were talking about making a double sided quick attach plate to hook machines together to have pushing contests.

Here's when I turned the 340 over. Dragging a top diagonally across a ditch, arms raised, a bit too fast... perfect storm of circumstances. It was my next to last piece, wasn't paying enough attention.
2011-12-01123251.jpg

2011-12-01123318.jpg

Little stump we dug out a couple weeks ago. Definitely a chunk of weight to move!

Then, here's a video of the AL540 refilling the hole... a weak differential lock video. When it dries up, I'll shoot more video that's more inline with showing the advantages of differential locks.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4hy_5Aiogn0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• IMG_6242.jpg
    IMG_6242.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6248.jpg
    IMG_6248.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6247.jpg
    IMG_6247.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6246.jpg
    IMG_6246.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 71
Hey Carl, I have a couple questions. What happened to The Beak? Also, since I just got a mini excavator, Does BM make a grapple to fit a Bobcat 331? I can get a Valby direct, but would rather spend "in House" if possible.

I believe we still have the beak, although it's use is rather limited IMO.

Congrats on the mini! I'm loving mine! I can see it getting several times the hours on it as compared to the loader. Do you want a rigid or hanging rotator? What's the intended use(s)? I plan on putting a HD BMG on my ex. We also carry Valby fwiw.

For weight consideration I was thinking something along the lines of Valby's 36 w/ a rigid rotator. If I can adapt a BMG to do the same, I may. One of my competitor friends just put a Valby50" w/ rigid on his new 331 or 32(?) and it is too heavy IMO. It really reduces your lifting capabilities.
As far as the Beak goes, I have seen some guys tear a stump out in less than half the time of a bucket with something similar attached to a mini ex.

How does a mini ex like the Bobcat 331 compare to a wheel loader like a gehl 340-540 as far as pick up and carry weights?

Can you put pallet forks on it? How would it heel logs like a Wheel loader?

Do you mean the beak or a ripper? The beak went on pallet forks, a poor man's grapple. If you're talking ripper I'm thinking of one for my ex for ripping roots. Still, depending on the species and soil conditions there will be roots growing downward to sever.

A 36" grapple sucks IMO. What is your intended use? The regular bmg might be suitable, depending. I would feel better if it were in a hanging rotator. Do you have a thumb? Don't forget you can add counterweight for stability, although it doesn't effect lifting power obviously.

Loaders certainly out lift excavators above grade, Nick. The higher you go, the worse it gets. Still, a 4.5t ex can get a stump out a hole that the 540 can't lift. Granted it can't lift it either! You can adapt a skid steer mount to excavators.

Back