Ideal size for a climber?

• Thread starter The Branch Doctor
  • Start date
  • Replies 60
  • Views 8K
I'm one of the littler guys, it seems. 5'8, 160 at the end of Sept., 165 at the end of Feb. I'd like to still be 155, but at 54 I think those days are gone:D.

I'm not fast, but I have been called efficient...if you reduce wasted motion to the absolute minimum, you can make yourself look good. The only way to do that consistently is by thinking before you move...not sit and think, just anticipate what the consequences of a manuever are and plan accordingly, all in a smooth unhurried fashion.

Absolutely, Burnham. And the longer we do it, the more natural it is to see our route. I really like what Darin said about climbing with your mind and your body is but an instrument.

The sad day is when our bodies can no longer perform what our minds can conceive. :whine:

never...Fred Beckey, 84 still climbin'. You climb till your done...you'll know when.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LfrJ4rt0duM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LfrJ4rt0duM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'm with Burnham... slow but deliberate, I screw up when I try to go fast. 6'-1" 190#... reaching is easy but high stepping isn't... my balance definitely ain't what it used to be. ...and I'll never quit as long as I can still move.

185 and 6'1" here... I'd say being 22 has something to do it, but No Bivy beat me in the 50 ft footlock.

and you are saying "that old fat man can still kick my ass"?:lol:

If I could give up Ice cream, chocalate and beer......I could drop a few pounds.:/:

I'm about 5'11" and 160-165.

Planning ahead and running the tree like a chess board,
keeps me looking good with lots of brush on the ground in a sensible manner.

I hope to make it til I choose not to climb.

This has always interested me, as I'm only 5'3"ish and around 120lbs if not lighter. I've never had any problems being a shortarse and climbing, occasionally it would be nice to have a little extra reach, but i'd say the benefits of being small and light far outweigh any disadvantages.
I'm strong and fit and perfectly happy lugging big saws around, the only problem I've found is that spikes are a little too long for my legs, and that when i'm chogging down a stem with a big saw I find there often isnt enough space between my chest and the tree to get the chainsaw engine in comfortably.

Back