Iced Tea Concentrate

why not brew the tea as you would brew coffee - same pot and all - Mister coffee turns to tea. then cool down or ice.

I perfer water

back to my cave. . . .

I've never been much of a coffee drinker in fact I don't own a coffee maker. Brewing tea on the stove really does heat up my whole apartment and is not something I like to do when the weather is already making me melt.
Carl as for steaping tea in the fridge...I need to look into this more but using a family size tea bag to get a 10 or 12 oz glass of tea? I'd like try using a single regular size bag. I like flavored teas and they are a bit too spendy to use three bags for one glass. Also I don't take sugar in my tea but those who do may find the fridge brewed tea less the ideal.
There maybe some risk in drinking sun brewed tea but I bet more people in my town have died crossing the street at the wrong time then from a glass or two of sun brew.

we have an electric kettle, boil up a couple liters water, pour it over a couple tea bags in the Bodum and let it sit for a while, remove bags, put Bodum in the fridge and enjoy as you will. whats so tough?

...Carl as for steaping tea in the fridge...I need to look into this more but using a family size tea bag to get a 10 or 12 oz glass of tea?...

Jerry I used a glass because it was handy. The tea was way stronger than I would drink. If you'd like I could try our regular recipe (3 FS packs per gallon) tonight and see how it goes. I'll add sugar later assuming it works out.

A tea brewer costs $20 and has a fairly low heat output (more efficient than a pot methinks).

My comments regarding sun tea are for my volumetric self. Beginning of supper last night, this was full, meaning I had 122-124oz with my jumbalia and crackers w/ deviled ham.

DSC05035.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
New twist on the concentrate.....I've gone through a couple gallons since I first tried it. I like it, REALLY cut down on the diet colas. But it was a PITA to keep measuring....I took a cow tag marker (paint pen) and marked my big plastic tea glass at 1-1/4 cup, then put another mark at 2 cups.

Now I just pour it in and be done with it. :D

why not brew the tea as you would brew coffee - same pot and all - Mister coffee turns to tea. then cool down or ice.

I prefer water

back to my cave. . . .
Bump for this thread-
I use a second coffee maker for making tea now. Tea leaves a residue in the coffeemaker which will affect the flavor of the coffee IMO. I buy the regular tea bags instead of the 'family size' because they are about half the cost. And instead of just piling the tea bags in the basket, I use a coffee filter and cut open the tea bags, dumping the loose tea into the filter. This way I only need 9-10 bags to make a gallon of tea (each pot is a half gallon, I run two pots of water through the tea).

I'm trying to gradually reduce the amount of sugar I use also. Store bought tea is way too sweet but unsweetened tea is undrinkable and sugar won't dissolve in cold tea. I was using about a cup per gallon, now I'm down to about 3/4 cup.

Back