Ice tail bridge on TreeFlex

• Thread starter startersplice
  • Start date
  • Replies 34
  • Views 5K
There's a decent chance that it'll hold fine, but the prob is that there isn't a way to KNOW it's good. The locked brummels have to tear open for failure. It's readily accepted (i think) that it won't happen.

I bet if you were to call Samson on this one, they wouldn't recommend you do it. Might be worth the call. It would also be good to ask them if you DID want to splice it without a locked brummel, how long does the bury need to be.

To do a locked brummel on each side you have to unweave the rope, form the brummel, then put the tail back together. It takes practice to get it right, but it is a handy trick to have in your bag of skills.

love
nick

to answer blinky with the TF and thimbles "familytree" YES

i agree with the issue with the big ring on the bridge and the cover, it does bind and the ring fits nice over the shackles. why not replace the ring with a small one. pros and cons there also - the SIZE as they say.

Looks good what you did

I'm with eeryone else here. nothing i can add that hasn't been said already. i like the duel vectran core though, thats nice

Jamie

Lot of good comments here. I've been doing some experiments with the aim of replacing my rope bridge, but I've had to put them on hold because of the cold weather, so I have no results to report.

With respect to the eye being loaded from more than one direction, this should only be a problem if the bury is forced to emerge from the splice at a sharp angle. The splice will be strongest when the bury emerges nearly parallel with the rope.

Removing the shackles to tie directly to the webbing creates another problem, though. I have read reports of experiments in which two ropes were girth hitched end to end, then pulled to failure. They failed at much lower loads than when they were both girth hitched to a common steel ring. This phenomenon may come into play here. Another issue is the shape of the webbing edges. They are, from the point of view of your bridge, a whole lot sharper than the shackle. The extra-sharp bend, or bends, in the bridge eye will be weak points.

These may all be minor issues, but as Nick says, how do you KNOW?

To do a locked brummel on each side you have to unweave the rope, form the brummel, then put the tail back together. It takes practice to get it right, but it is a handy trick to have in your bag of skills.

love
nick

Nick instead of unweaving the rope to form the brummel, could you use the locking Mobius Brunnel that Stanley Longstaff showed Brion Toss how to do? Its illustrated in Toss' Riggers Apprentice book just before the double braid eye splice.

I seem to remember Octaviuos Benton showing this at the workshop when we were making eye to eye prusiks.

The mobius won't work because you can't capture the webbing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi All,
I've just bought a set of Selma push fids.
There is a picture of a locked eye splice, anybody seen one of these.
I don't understand how it works?
Would it be like a Brummel / Locking Brummel?

Attachments

• locked eye splice hollow braid.jpg
    locked eye splice hollow braid.jpg
    999.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anybody got pics of the mobius, Blinky mentioned??

...I don't understand how it works?
Would it be like a Brummel / Locking Brummel?

I would call it a distant cousin. It would supply a lot of friction that would make it very hard for the splice bury to start slipping. It would also crush the shit out of the rope at the splice throat, seriously weakening it. Worst of all, should the bury actually come out, you are toast--it will not hold anything by itself. The locking Brummel will. Perhaps I am missing something, but the structure you picture looks pretty much worthless to me.

Oh yeah, the moebius. It is just a locked Brummel, but it is made in place. You only need access to one end of the rope. Magic! But as Blinky rightly says, you cannot capture anything in the eye that results.

If I were you, I would throw away the directions that come with the Selma fids.

Also- you might need to tape the tops of the fids where the metal comes together. Mine have the tendency to pinch the inner fibers of the ropes as it's sliding through.

That pic you show is not a "locked splice" at all.

love
nick

Back