I was wondering how....

OTGBOSTON

punk in drublic
The guys in the DR climbed the palm trees, couldn't see any evidence of gaff marks. One day when I was out of the room my wife had a chance to get some pics.

In this case the guys were getting coconuts.......to sell to the tourists (my wifes cousin, the bride, and her friend)

Attachments

• IMG_0858.JPG
    IMG_0858.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0860.JPG
    IMG_0860.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0864.JPG
    IMG_0864.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
oops forgot that part. He had one length of rope from his foot timberhitched to the trunk and another length from his right thight timberhitched to the trunk. No belt lanyard whatsoever:\:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its a sort of timberhitch. Wrapped around the trunk once and then around the rope three times. He would advance the rope and then pull on the free end to tighten it up. Whole thing looked very uncomfortable and not very safe to me.

That's correct, Butch. So why are you giving Carl such a hard time about it? Think it through instead of making Carl or somebody else explain it to you. The guy obviously alternates putting weight on one or the other, pulling up the slack side as his weight is on the opposite. Even an idiot like me can figure that much out.
:P :|:

It could have been, Butch. Or he could have been wrapping the tail around the working end instead of back onto itself like a timber hitch...which could have been more easily adjusted. Either way could be adjusted upward when unweighted, but not as easily as a running bowline.

Very low tech. and dangerous...

He'll prolly die from a falling coconut before he ever falls though.

I've used girth hitched webbing loops to climb like that before, but never without a flipline or lanyard. I found them to be difficult to use because they are tough to advance up the trunk. There was always some little stub or piece of bark on the opposite side of the tree that I couldn't get them over. I would only do this on a fir tree without any good branches to tie into.

Wouldn't a running bowline work a lot better than a timber hitch?

Back