Husky 540 cutting and climbing

It is sounding like the 540 is exactly like the 338- it cuts great when it works, which is rare. The saw has virtually no longevity.

Thanks master blaster.

Mine was working fine in the cold, albeit when it was newer. After reading about the husky auto tune on other husky saws I think it cld be the temp change affecting it so I ran it for 5 min at wot, in wood, to reset it. I haven't worked with it since but I'm hoping that is going to fix the problem.

Mine feels like is starving for fuel when it's been about 15 mins from operating temperature. After a few beers I'm thinking I might try putting in a non return valve on the fuel line as close as possible to the carbie. Space is a bit of a problem.

Mine feels like is starving for fuel when it's been about 15 mins from operating temperature. After a few beers I'm thinking I might try putting in a non return valve on the fuel line as close as possible to the carbie. Space is a bit of a problem.
Why do you think it needs another?
There is a valve in pump membrane to prevent fuel going back down line. I think there is one way primer too.
If primer is empty and fuel went back in tank, valve is not tight in primer or pump membrane or air get in to replace fuel.

There is plenty of room for a hose valve if you still think it needs it. But put it in hose above filter in tank.
It won't make much difference, but that is were it does most use.

To be honest i didn't know it already had one. The only reason i thought i would try it is because it fixed by 3120. Interesting comment about the primer as mine has next to nothing in it after a couple of minutes running.

If you have warranty turn it in. If you have a good dealer give them a call first, they might have another plan of action.

Mrdiesel and any one else interested, the reset seems to have worked and the saw cut all day in the tree without difficulty starting.

Cheers, I'm happy to reset as I have the software but I'm hoping that this doesn't need to become a regular thing.

It seems strange that the auto tune can't retune properly unless it's had a full reset.

Wondering if anyone has had this with other auto tune saws.

Mines being checked out under warranty before I reset it and start looking at carbies

You have access to updated files too, MrDiesel?
If not have the shop updatew it for you.

Even if file has same name it can have changes in it.

Anyone having issues , call Bob at Ashokan 845-657-6395 (spike 60 on AS) I was just talking to him about other saws, and mentioned this thread. He says AutoTune is rarely the issue..... He's knowledgeable and always helpful.

Or try to find a (NE) 338 or 2139 and mod the muffler. Lots cheaper, dead on reliable, and faster than a 200T.

You have access to updated files too, MrDiesel?
If not have the shop updatew it for you.

Even if file has same name it can have changes in it.

No, I brought the software and USB gadget but I'm just a chainsaw junky not a dealer. I'll ask them to upgrade the firmware and try again

Seems like my 562 is always trying to retune itself as I'm cutting. It's annoying but I just figured that's what the auto tune does.

It is actually a good thing if you know what it does and how it works.
It adapts and try to follow the set parameters as best it can.

They also remembers. A faulty start for example is kept in memory just as the correct start.

A reset and update is never wrong if it acts up.

Changing in saws configuration without reset can lead to confusion.

Mine is still restarting well. It sputters a bit until it warms up. It has a more power in the cut than my amateurly tuned cs355t but the plastic seems to be of much poorer quality. The first day I used it I palm punched the chain brake and it cracked in half and yesterday the handle on the starter cord slipped out of my hand and when it pinged back it broke off.
The echo on the other hand has only ever broken when dropped from 40 feet on to frozen ground smashing the handle to bits.

Flawlessly. If they could put the efforts that went into making a saw that size so capable into making an 80 some cc model do the same thing I'd fall over with joy. My saw had led to my dealer selling several more. I always have everyone try my saw out. My uncle is a die hard Stihl guy and was grilling me on how much he could score a 562 for......

Chris, I think the same way too. I'm waiting for the 572XP, hopefully it has the same genes as th 562.
Could you imagine a 590 or 595XP?:)

Well my 540 finally got dropped off again today. See what the dealer says this time. 1st warranty work was the intake boot. Now it runs ok but when ran hard consistently it'll start to run erratically, fall on its face and stall.

So far I'm not impressed. Even when it seems to be running 'right' it has crappy throttle response and no power. Yesterday I dumped it back into the truck after the 1st fir and switched up to the gutless 201 which felt like it had way more power.

My 540 so far couldn't hold a candle to a good running 200, of which I have a couple that I run.

Are there any vids out there that I missed showing the 540 doing timed cuts against a 201 or a 200?

Yeah Justin: I'm a little ticked that the 540 doesn't seem to bring the goods really any better than the 201. I used one today to elevate a couple of Firs, and wasn't too impressed; and yes--it stumbled and quit more than once. How pathetic, that I'd rather use my hopped-up Echo 360t than either of the pro saws. I'd be anxious to try the 540 with some minor muffler work. I'll bet it will out cut the 201 by at least a small margin.

Back