Hunting 2013

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384099055.444990.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384099065.984103.jpg

So he turned out to be 110lbs. No giant by any standards, but will certainly taste great. I have to admit I was wishing I had Nick's Game Trolley. It was dark when I found him and I headed the wrong direction to the truck for five minutes(forgot my compass). Thankfully I got a little cell service and used Google earth to check for the pin I dropped at the truck.
I now have a flashlight/compass app and a GPS app on my phone just in case I leave the pack behind again.

My son happened on to a road kill deer back when it was hot out. We were up till 3:30 am cutting it up. The size of the cuts of meat were getting bigger as the night went on.

I jumped a woodcock on my place when I was down by the creek. Just about stepped on it. I don't see them very often.

The deer are really making appearances. Almost hit one standing in the middle of the road on a curve coming back from voting Tues. night. Then when I got back to my house there were two does coming up alongside my house ready to cross the road.

Friday night in the neighbors field I thought I saw something in the slashing 50 yards off the road. Backed up and shined them with my headlights. 5 does.

Nice little buck, I passed one up that size in the first season but would be glad for it now! Out West we call that a forked horn

He'd be a forked horn here too Willie if he didn't have that brow tine on one side. Shall we cal it a 2 by 3?:P;)

had no luck in early deer season, but late season opens up here on Thursday and ends Sunday. Hopefully I can find some time to get out there. Hunting Blacktail deer here in the NW can be a challenge and frustrating.

Haha, the "brow tine" we call eye guards and for some reason they only get counted for scoring purposes, in which case the 2x3 you guys call it. I've always found it interesting the different ways different areas count them. Not saying anyone's wrong or right, just different, like the Euro guys starting their face cuts opposite of the Western practices.

Young or old, either burger, jerky or steak depending on how tough. We go through alot of burger!

What about older deer meat in sausages mixed with the fatter pork? A bud of mine would do that with Elk. Sure are wonderful for breakfast.

Y'all have any interest in hog hunting? Good meat, cool hardy critter, overpopulated.

Machine gunning them like Theo, no thanks. But fair chase could be fun. I had no idea they were a problem there, too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The rut is ON here. Im seeing no less then 4 different bucks running around hog wild while I walk my trap line each morning. Been getting up at 4 each day and am seeing all the daybreak mayhem with the whitetails.

You trapping coyotes? To bad fur isn't worth what it used to be. We got enough coons around here and coyotes. Funny how the squirrels dropped right off in numbers. Not that it bothers me, they are annoying chatterboxes.

Back