humidity and saws

Page

TreeHouser
can't remember if I posted this before, but does anyone have trouble with their saws when its really humid? they seem to not run at full rpm. :what:

Can't say as I do...mine run regularly in up to 95%...but then maybe I've never know how they run in anything less than 70% !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its not just me either, a couple of the cats I contract for have had similar issues. I think it is the constant changing of the humidity. I remember years ago when I read zen and the art of motorcycle maintainence, the guy was always adjusting his engine along his journey for altitude and humidity etc...might not apply here though

Dunno, in Bermuda we rarely go below 65%, and easily up to 95.
In Tasmania...seems to be between 50-70% so a range of 20-30% in both places doesn't seem to affect anything from what I can tell.
No appreciable change in altitude either across my job sites.

If it's not reaching full RPM I'd be inspecting the air vent, sounds like it might be on the verge of vapor lock. Next time it acts up and pull off the fuel cap and listen for a "wooshing" sound. It should run fine for a bit after doing this, that means it's not getting air into the fuel tank preventing fuel from coming out.

I thought that humidity was one factor that affected carb performance. Maybe yours are just borderline in adjustment? Have you tinkered with them and seen any change?

Its humid here in the Pacific NWet. usually in winter with colder temps. I haven't noticed anything.

What gas mix are you using? I can see that if you are heavy on the oil, maybe the wet air is more likely to be a factor?

If it's not reaching full RPM I'd be inspecting the air vent, sounds like it might be on the verge of vapor lock. Next time it acts up and pull off the fuel cap and listen for a "wooshing" sound. It should run fine for a bit after doing this, that means it's not getting air into the fuel tank preventing fuel from coming out.

Ime saws tend to scream when that happens they lean out like at the end of a tank.

Ime saws tend to scream when that happens they lean out like at the end of a tank.

I've actually had the opposite happen in high heat, high humidity conditions. The saw would bog down and not rev up. pop the cap off and it would run fine for a bit.

You can cook a saw by revving through the end of the tank, especially a bigger, hotter saw that needs the cooling of the gas and lubing of the oil, from what I've been told.

I won't say that it is impossible, but judging by the number of people that do it, I would think that a saw having the resilience to high rev through the end of the tank and not suffer damage, is engineered into it. Otherwise, I think it would be a cautionary in the manual. I don't think that potential damage by doing that even occurs to most saw users.

I wish someone would listen to me when I tell them that... They just keep pulling the trigger. I shout "fuel dude!". Then I get the whatever look.
Gawd there are days...

I cooked a 2 year old 660 that way about 6 years ago.
Piston and cylinder shot.
Really made me feel like a professional faller, that did:lol:

Don't you just love these gems that surface during our conversations!

It's the absolute truth. Never run through the fumes at the end of a tank. It cooks a saw a bit each time you do it.

I think it is why they make semi-transparent gas tanks. Rather than just sense it, I think I have bothered to look maybe once.

Any sawyer can tell when it starts leaning at the end of a tank. I check fuel often before a big cut to make sure I'm not about to screw myself.

I don't know if humidity factors in or not .I do know they run like race horses in cold weather though .That cold dense air can really carry the fuel .About zero is good but not so good on the sawyer unless you're one of those Eskimo types from the frozen tundra of the north country .:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
good advice guys thanks, I need more saws though, it's hard to get them into the shop when I need them every day. I hope over time I can learn enough to fix them myself. asking questions in the treehouse is a good start

Back