How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 179K
Think it was about 20 minutes? Good portion of that was trying to remember where I had put things down!

Haha Rich, it takes a lot longer to splice when the kids are being feral, then I dont have to sort them out😄

I would have just given them a demonstration of you splicing something up to tie and gag them... that would have shut them up and got them to wind their necks in a bit. ;)

I hear you on the losing things though. I would regularly lose things when splicing, like the skin on the pad of every finger when I foolishly agreed to splice some used Tachyon for a mate.

Lol, my first splicing experience was splicing used Safety Blue and it was just like you describe, Rich. Basically cured me of wanting to splice. :whine:

Okay fingers crossed for first splice ever, I’m gonna attempt to make an ultra ring sling. For less than the cost of a 6‘- 7’ one I got the materials for a 10’-11’ one with ring plus the 5/8” and 3/4” Samson fids. The video from Poplar Mechanic makes it look dead simple.
Ignore those cheesy plastic fids, they’re for a little 3/8” Tenex project I wanna do later. 07BE4C0D-48C9-4F9C-85EA-0D098EA71FB9.jpeg

Sure it's for splicing tennex! :/: It's ok we don't judge.

For tennex I just make a tape fid after a light tapering of the end. I wrap about four inches of the end it works well. The metal fids I just use for measuring really and use the Yale wire basket fid for the splice. I mostly splice BD and tennex.

BD=DB double braid? I’ll see how this turns out first but I’d love to learn to splice 24 strand climbing lines to make a couple lanyards and maybe slings from fatter DB, I don’t use splices on my climbing lines but never tried... just don’t really see the benefit for me since I’m almost always using the middle of the rope. Also naked eye splices on tech cords would be a cool skill, and those footloops Tommy made are sweet! Looks like that’d be easy with Tenex.

Yeah those fids probably aren’t necessary for Tenex, but I’m hoping to not give up here on just Tenex :)

Back