How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 180K
I just spliced my first eye 2 days ago, spliced the 2nd eye last night to make a ring & ring friction saver. The TOTAL length is 32", I really wanted 36" but under estimated how much length would be taken up in the splice. It was difficult, but it seemed to work out OK with the cover pushed back as far as it would go.

I found it works best to measure from A to A and then add a fid to get the length right for the second eye before you cut. Still haven't figured out a good way to remember to put that darn ring on though...

Splice 1.jpg Splice 2.jpg
Okay so I have been stalking this site for a long time now. This is my first post. I have to say you all are much friendlier than the others sites I use to look at. I finally got the nerve to try my own splices today and ended up with these two. Took a long time but I actually got a lot of enjoyment out of it. What do you think?

The rules state no splice without a manufacturers tag and label will be accepted. I dont agree with that rule one bit, but if you arent going to enforce it, abolish it or at the very least inspect the splices for obvious warning signs..

First name is Jared I am from the Indianapolis area. I did not lockstitch either one yet still trying to figure out how to finish them up properly before climbing on either.

Nice job, everyone. Nick its amazing how far youve come since leaving that lame outfit you were with before, ha they were sitting on a gold mine and didn't know it.

Thanks Cory. A lot of what I have learned has come from the people here, yourself included! I am just getting ready to publish a video on a system that I learned from David and he hardly even wants credit :). Being on the forum has meant a lot to me.

Hey Jared welcome to the Tree House!

The agree with Burnham that the tachyon looks a little lumpy. I can't really tell from the picture if it's because it's lumpy inside or it's the cover just bunched up in some parts. If it's the cover you can tap it with a mallet up and down the throat to even it out.

You picked a pretty nasty starting point in tachyon. My first tachyon splice did had a huge lump from a bad core taper. It was a memorable fight. :)

The PI looks good from here!

Belated welcome to the Tree House Jared! Hope you plan to stay around. The more the merrier! :D

Nick,
I am gonna go check myself, but how do you finish off an OP splice? :?

Very nice Tommy. I use gold rings on the retrieval side too. It gives you a lot of peace of mind when you do that last look up and say "I threaded that right, didn't I?" :)

Is that 8mm Ocean? What are you going to use that for?

I like the gold/blue!

Cheers for the nice words. The single ring is a Monkey Tail (at least thats what my mate who told me about it called it) used to work single line on a spar then retrieve and reset the system further down the spar when needed.

And yes, 8mm OP

Back