How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 179K
53944EE3-0F47-491D-BC50-31DB3F4132A2.jpeg
Made myself an endless loop with a locking Brummell out of some Tech 12 I got in my bag o rope a few years ago. About a 30” loop. Has a noticeable bump at the Brummell but doesn’t require lock stitching. I’ll still put a few stitches in so it stays pretty though.

Had an 18’ hank of tuelfelberger 16 strand. Turned into about a 12’ friction saver/ false crotch. My hands hurt
View attachment 106228View attachment 106229
Broke a wire fid on the second ring during the cross over🤬. Guess I’ll hit up Mark P for my free rebuild

Looks great mate. I find that daisy chaining the core loosely helps to keep it out the way plus you can pull it to help bunch up the cover to help get the second part of the crossover in.
I love splicing 16 stand IMG_20170225_205554_819.jpg

image.jpg
round two. I’m thinking the bulge just above my needle is from my cross over bunching on the final bury. Eye is a tiny bit baggy as well. That’s 2 eyes on a 25’ chunk. I should have enough to cut in in half and attempt 2 more.
first one was trying to follow Nick’s video. Second was adapting Mark P’s instructions for Samson vortex. Very similar. Cover layout pattern is a bit different. Another attempt soon to follow

I used one once to build a tray for flying masonry materials in at the house while doing my "mechanical room". I think i still got it laying around, worked great. I used to have a line on them, got them for free all the time, but was too generous and to make room gave them all away right before a big batch fell through :lol: I need to work on that, hunting down a new source, hopefully a few good water ones for hauling water too.

Good picture on post 8 of that thread
Nick says-
If you look close, each OP strand is actually 2 skinnier strands running parallel side by side, never crossing eachother. It's a 2-carrier rope.

When marking my tapers, I only pull 1 of the carriers of each strand, going in each direction. The end result is that I still am pulling and removing 50% of the cover strands in making my taper, but I'm leaving behind enough of the strands going in each direction that I don't have to worry about the weave coming apart.

Do you have to pick out a longer taper for that? I saw that about larger diameter ropes as well.
I’m gonna pick up some more stablebraid and practice on that some more. I think my blue moon splices look ok but seem way to stiff and definitely to hard to bury. I really want to be fluent in both those ropes as they are what I use most often. Gonna spend some time at the arb store with the owner and go over my splices, get some tips. Also gonna piggy back shipping for break testing with him at the end of the month. I really need to find my Samson manual. Videos aren’t helping me. To many inconsistencies between splicers.

I did lengthen the taper on this one over what nick posted. I haven't in the past, and won't in the future. The taper shown is sweet for OPoly 10.

My yale 11.7 splices are usually pretty stiff for about 2 inches past the eye. If that's any help. I'd be interested if the pros have any tips for softer splices on that rope, keep us posted!

That’s what I’m hoping to figure out as well. The one I use daily is so much softer than the one I bought prespliced for my kid. Same rope different color scheme. I’m gonna do a half dozen more, keep track of my splices and have them break tested. For my own assurance.

Does that firm up the cord a ton?
Not a ton, but the 5-6” where the tails are buried is definitely firmer/ stiffer. This stuff is nice and flexible though, even on the stiff spots it’ll take the wraps and turns for a hitch, no problem.

Looks good...but I'd bet the stretchy suspender straps give out real quick. The throwline is far more abrasive than the elastic can handle.

Put some sort of smooth metal loop in between, maybe?

Back