How to Protect the Ground from Impact Damage; Ideas?

Very bottom center of photo with sawdust on it.
Yes, we carried rounds of wood out the front door

Just bomb the shit or rope it down. I've used tires and brush piles and piles of logs. They all have merits and downfalls. If its that big of an issue, I rope it down. If its just a few dents in the turf, I toss a bit of topsoil in the holes, with some seed and PennMulch. I could see why guys make buffers and all that. Not knocking it.

I do usually lay the bole out on a buffer log though. Makes sawing it easier and avoids a very long divit/trench in the lawn.

I agree, there's many ways to do things. they all have their place. getting back to punching holes in blacktop, I was working with this guy once in a parking lot of a college and he put a good sized divet in the lot with a hickory log. next thing I know he's out there chopping it up with the claw on the hammer till it was all broken up. poured some gas on it and lit it. he let it burn a bit to soften then tamped it out smooth. it looked pretty damn good for a quickie fix. nothing you'd wanna do on a driveway probably but in an old parking lot it did good.

Wow, that's an idea to keep in the toolbox, Page. I'll definitely try that the next time the situation arises.

That's definitely going to be a must try. I might go dent some pavement tomorrow, just to make sure you aren't selling a line of bs!!!

Starting fires on asphalt could easily be regarded as a terrorist activity. The gasoline seals the case.

Often, there is no more limbs available when I fell the spar, easier clean-up.
So I put some logs across the lay. They pick up a part of the falling energy but don't avoid the divots. Not so big though.

I tried to fell a spar on a small stack of firewood, maybe two feet high. It's funny to see the firewood spitting out, but the first level is jammed under the spar and driven in the ground. Divot again.

I have 10 junk tires. I seldom use them because it's bulky and they are car tires, too soft to take big trees They work well in two levels to keep the butt off the ground for a tree up to 16". But the middle and the top of the tree crash too hard and crush them flat.
I tried them as a cushion to catch limbs and chunks bombed from 60 - 70" (london plane) It worked fine, except for one piece 4" x 4' : it was dropped flat, but a twig brushed it in the way and make it stand up; it found its way throw the limbs already there, pass just in the middle of a tire and hit the pavement. Strong stones hopefully.

Big truck tires are awesome but need a loader. I saw a concrete pole landing on them and falling to pieces without coming close to the asphalt.

A very efficient trick is aiming an other stump (if available of course). Given it isn't completely rotten, it withstands easily the bump.

This would suck if you had to pull it apart by hand

Attachments

• maple drop 3 standing.jpg
    maple drop 3 standing.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 13
  • mplae drop 5 mess.jpg
    mplae drop 5 mess.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 11
  • maple drop 6 mess.jpg
    maple drop 6 mess.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 13
  • maple drop 8.jpg
    maple drop 8.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 12
I like to make a crib with logs, tie em up or wedge them and fill with chips.
Easy to move, fairly easy to clean up, easy wheelbarrow around and to load and we always have them handy.

We bomb onto brush all the time. Its readily available and easily disposed. Its no big hassle to clean up with some hydraulic help. Bombing onto logs is asking for trouble IMO. If you dont drive them into the ground you could easily bounce off them sending a piece tiddlywinking. Brush is best IMO.

I like to make a crib with logs, tie em up or wedge them and fill with chips.
Easy to move, fairly easy to clean up, easy wheelbarrow around and to load and we always have them handy.

Sounds like a pain in the ass! Chips? Really? How is that any easier to clean up than brush?

Back