How to Protect the Ground from Impact Damage; Ideas?

I have used tires and had good luck. Laid a big Scots pine on a Henry block retaining wall last year with the aid of tires. Worked fantastic.

I imagine about a half dozen 3 feet diameter chunks from a big oak could pound an old Chevy right down to the frame .300 hundred pounds bombed from 60 feet up ,wow .

I imagine about a half dozen 3 feet diameter chunks from a big oak could pound an old Chevy right down to the frame .300 hundred pounds bombed from 60 feet up ,wow .

I'd buy tickets to see that!!! :big-jump: :happy1:

And how exactly are you supposed to get all these tires to the job site and then hauled off again? Seems like a rather bulky and completely impractical solution that creates more issues than it solves. And I've never seen any work pictures from all you tire users showing them in use.

Just bomb the shit or rope it down. I've used tires and brush piles and piles of logs. They all have merits and downfalls. If its that big of an issue, I rope it down. If its just a few dents in the turf, I toss a bit of topsoil in the holes, with some seed and PennMulch. I could see why guys make buffers and all that. Not knocking it.

I do usually lay the bole out on a buffer log though. Makes sawing it easier and avoids a very long divit/trench in the lawn.

skidder tires....takes a loader to move them, but they work great, ive also used trench shoring plates, with a load of chips dumped ontop of them

oh yeah i have a trailer with roughly 40 sheets of plywood in varying thicknesses, to cover blds, and anything sensitive roofs bldgs windows, for when roping it just doesnt make sense

In the 1980s we had the rear half of an old Ford pickup made into a trailer filled with tires from tractor tires to regular auto tires.
Felled rather large (48 to 52" dbh) trees across macadam roads on top of those tires piled a good five feet high, and had good results.
Also bombing chunks went well, but had to keep re-piling them for best results.

Definatly rare but under this alturna mat is 2 tires and then concrete. Worked a charm dropping a few rounds

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Damn! I merged some posts from the wind thread to THIS thread and the new posts came out first...

Sorry 'bout dat!!!

Cool MB, I was hoping that you'd do that.

I realize that when starting a new thread off of a derail, its best to mention in the original thread, and post a link to the new thread to avoid the need for moving it over.

And how exactly are you supposed to get all these tires to the job site and then hauled off again? Seems like a rather bulky and completely impractical solution that creates more issues than it solves. And I've never seen any work pictures from all you tire users showing them in use.

I've used tires with great success ONCE... picked them up at a dumpster area of a tire shop with permission, and dropped them back off later.. its works, but does take A LOT of time... having a loader with grapple bucket on site changes the game completely.. stack brush 10' tall in the drive, drop a couple logs over the top and drop a big spar without a worry... with the loader its no problem pulling the pile apart and into the chipper... Loader also easily places big logs to protect sidewalks, driveways, curbs etc... endless possibilities...

My most interesting bombing onto something wasn't to protect a road, but a nice wooden fence on some shrine grounds. By far, the least troublesome way to fall the tree and meet the budget, was to fall it over the fence, breaking the fence not an option, and it couldn't be removed. The guy that hired me is a foundation builder/construction person, so he told me to just leave it to him to build some protection into the equation. When I arrived at the job the next day or so, he had built a single stage scaffolding over the fence, the legs on each side of the fence, with the cross bars over the fence, and he had some odds and ends assortment on top of that, including heavy ply. I was a little dubious, and told him that in the least it was going to wreck his scaffolding, but he said it was some old stuff, and he didn't care. Cutting away from the base, a perfect job by the bombardier, and it smashed bent the scaffolding all to heck, but the fence was unscathed. Quite a crash, Jack, i would have charged you ten bucks to see that, it was classic. Wish i had a vid.

I'd a bought two tickets and brought my wife ... but the airfare would have been a killer ... next time, maybe :D

Definatly rare but under this alturna mat is 2 tires and then concrete. Worked a charm dropping a few rounds

Willie, I can't see an alternamat or tires in your pic. What is going on, and did you build that 'scaffold' to hold a broken or uprooted tree to keep it from falling onto the house as you cut it off the roof?

Back