How to cut 3/8" EHS Steel Cable

NickfromWI

King of Splices
Just wanted to hear what you guys are doing. I prefer to install dynamic cable, but some clients are prefer the more camouflaged steel cable. I carry 5/16" and 3/8".

Cutting it is a pain in the rump. We use a hacksaw. Someone recommended a grinder. From what I can tell, there isn't bolt cutter that is manageable to carry that can cut through the bigger 3/8" stuff.

What do you guys do?

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm considering buying one, but my drill is the 20v MAX cordless drill and they don't make a angle grinder to match those batteries yet.

Is yours 18v?

A sharp cold chisel and a ball peen hammer will go right through it slick as a whistle .Of course you have to back it up with a piece of plate steel ,head of a sledge hammer or something .

When I look on the dewalt site to see the tools available for 20v MAX they show this:

Screen Shot 2012-03-05 at 6.18.32 PM.png

That's what I'm waiting for right there. I'm hoping that'll do the trick.

How many sparks fly off that thing? I'm gonna have to be careful using that around dry southern california.

Al- josh hit that one right on the head.

Either way, I don't see a chisel going through this stuff. I've never used a chisel in such a manner (usually just using it on wood) but if this cable is as hard as the steel the chisel is made of, it seems like it wouldn't work...

It'll definitely do the trick. Sparks aren't too bad, if you leave the guard on. You know, the one most people take off? If you're cutting at height, they'll be cool long before they touch down to the ground. It gets pretty dry around here, too. This is corn country, plenty of tinder about. No problems yet.

I didn't even think about using it in the tree. I have a piece sent up cut to length then I just have to cut the individual strands up in the tree. I do that with some hefty wire cutters.

I'll give it a shot when/if I get one.

Normally for cable cutting when people need a tool to do it on a regular basis, they show a chisel in a carrier that you put the wire under, then smack the head of the chisel.

Now let me get this straight .Is this high strength 7 strand guy wire ? If so we used to cut up to 1/2" with a set of bolt cutters .The little stuff I have wacked with a cold chisel .Of course it was on the ground not in the air .

Now the bolt cutters had 4 feet handles on them and made to cut the stuff .I have no doubt they'd cost 500 bucks now of days .

Here's another idea if you don't want to pony up over 500 bucks for a set of HK Porter or Klien cable cutters .Sawzall with an abrasive blade .

Willie, you're cutting through the hole cable in one chop with those bolt cutter?

I need the ends to be sorta clean so I can do Rigguy install. If the center cable gets smashed too much, it doesn't fit in the cone hole.

That sounds dirty.

Back