how to cable

They do if you leave a little slack.;)

The ginormous problem with leaving slack in a static system is twofold.
1 If the Tree is being given a static cabling because it already has sustained damage.... slack is a no-no.
2. If the tree simply needs some supplemental support for protection from extreme events... Ice loads will load up slowly, tighten the slack and it can work BUT wind events may SLAM the cables taut and break things.

Dynamic cables are perfect for dynamic events. Static cabling has a place but generally it sucks. The cases where static is the best choice it should generally be taut. If movement is okay then dynamic is the better choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
my ehs cables go into bolts but the cobra is spliced like this

I no longer like cobra.....

Ive reinspected several of my previous installs and they had begun to girdle. I am now worried about everyone Ive installed..... ( hundreds)

the supposed splicing is supposed to grow with the tree when properly installed. I'm certain I buried the proper length and installed them with plenty of slack and still yet they don't expand and had begun to girdle. I think guardian is a better option, its a fixed eye splice, but you create the splice 1 1/2 to 2 times the limb diameter instead of cinching tightly and relying on a self adjusting girth increasing splice.
I plan to pull my records and gradually replace all installed cobras with guardian systems. The trick will be incorporating it with the repeat of ongoing work to minimize losses due to additional labor. Fortunately, most of the cables Ive installed were on mature trees so growth rates wont be tremendous. I figure starting with the oldest first, Ive got 1-3 years to get them replaced. I might create some sort of spread sheet in which install date and specie (due to varying growth rates) will set the priority and help determine best order in which to start.

Bring it Tobe!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ill keep an eye for that thanks. i guess manually loosen them on annual inspections to

Ive reinspected several of my previous installs and they had begun to girdle. I am now worried about everyone Ive installed..... ( hundreds)

I was saw a presentation at Penn State where they said the same thing. They had quite a few photos of it. In fact, they found not just Cobra, but anything that wraps around eventually starts to girdle. Their research was based, in part, on the magnificent collection of American Elms on their property.

They still use those systems to support overextended horizontal limbs, but everything else is EHS.

TS

The only way I could see them girdle is if they are under continuous load. Are you installing them too tight?
If there isn't a load, why wouldn't it just slide open? Nick, you have an opinion why a loose hollow braid like Cobra wouldn't slide without a load?

1 If the Tree is being given a static cabling because it already has sustained damage.... slack is a no-no.
Uh yeah I think i mentioned if it's got a crack, then no slack (not in those words but...)
2. If the tree simply needs some supplemental support for protection from extreme events... Ice loads will load up slowly, tighten the slack and it can work BUT wind events may SLAM the cables taut and break things.
This is a big problem if the cable is too low, but what if it;'s 2/3 or + ?

I can only go by the Cobra systems installed since 2001. There's only a half dozen jobs I check on, but all are holding up well.
I'll provide pix if you'd like ?

I no longer like cobra.....

the supposed splicing is supposed to grow with the tree when properly installed. I'm certain I buried the proper length and installed them with plenty of slack and still yet they don't expand and had begun to girdle. I think guardian is a better option, its a fixed eye splice, but you create the splice 1 1/2 to 2 times the limb diameter instead of cinching tightly and relying on a self adjusting girth increasing splice.

This is why the lab says NO

Back