Cable / brace between trees

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Obviously cables are used in a to help prevent breakage in sprawling canopies. Can a similar system be used between 2 diffident trees? Basically, can I brace a poplar to a beech to prevent the poplar from hitting the house if the tree were to fall or break? The canopy has been thinned to prevent a sail effect. It is vertical with fairly even limb weight all the way around. The poplar is 120’ish and the beech around 110’ish. The bracing would probably be at 80-90’ on the poplar and anchor to the beech directly behind it at the 60’.
The whole reason for this: My wife is afraid of the poplar. If it went straight forward it would crunch the house. It’s on the edge of a cluster of mature trees so it has help during wind. It’s healthy and was unaffected by the recent storm that took down a great many massive trees in the neighborhood. I’d like to keep it but mitigate the potential damage. Whatcha all think?

Garbage tree Mike. I've seen too many of those get toppled in storms, and with the weather patterns we have recently, just be done with it already.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know, I know…..it’s a toilet poplar. It’s a good healthy tree though and pushing max height for its species. I hate to remove it and I like cutting trees down. 😩

I suppose some 5/8 rigging line will be ordered shortly.

What’s the GENERAL rule for max weight of a positive rigging situation with very little shock load on a 1/2” rope?

If the rope (being the weakest link) is rated for approximately 5000 lbs mbs, would the wll be 1000 lbs?

Sean, I always was under the impression that it applied to the system as a whole but I’m pretty ignant. Like life safety being 10-1 and rigging being 5-1. Does rope have its own ratio?

Back