How Do You Brace Yourself When Takin A Wild Ride?

Between the Marlboro man, Easy Rider and the left handed cigarette, pardon if I cross-threaded something here, but in regards to regular rattling by rookie ropers, how much do you guys self-lower?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Once in a while, but far more often I just butt hang it with two loops and biners, then once it's vertical I cut past the attachment letting it fall, chucking the stub and putting loops and biners back on my saddle.

There are huge benefits to working with seasoned pro crews that run ropes smoothly and reliably.

But by the same token, there are rank amateurs on some of the crews I've contracted for that I wouldn't let touch my ropes under any circumstances. And if it takes twice as long for me to find alternative methods to rig it down solo? That's what happens.

Working solo with a cell phone is probably the safety rule I break the most these days.

Jomo

Sean, I have been self lowering a ton more lately. A friend gave me a mini porty, and I really like how it frees up the Groundman, and increases production. I think of you every time buddy. Thanks.

Now I haven't dicked around with self lowering tops much yet, but I like the idea of having total control.

Between the Marlboro man, Easy Rider and the left handed cigarette, pardon if I cross-threaded something here, but in regards to regular rattling by rookie ropers, how much do you guys self-lower?

A lot, always have, I use stubs for friction rather than anything clever.

Sean, I have been self lowering a ton more lately. A friend gave me a mini porty, and I really like how it frees up the Groundman, and increases production. I think of you every time buddy. Thanks.

Now I haven't dicked around with self lowering tops much yet, but I like the idea of having total control.

I've never used a mini porty at all, or a porty up top. I can't say from experience how they work, but...
when you can hang a Belay Spool at the top of a non-isolated line (like most SRT Basal-ties), and can pull up a floating anchor point, and work both sides, without that problem of the round tube not allowing the rope to move very easily, you can rig some wood to the ground fast. I tell ya, sell that mini and buy a BS. When you get it dialed, show your friend, and return a favor.

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that you will get much more out of the BS than a Mini POW. The only thing is that there are not cleats for tying off. Basically this mean that you tie the tail to the tree if you need it locked. No big deal.

I'll try to get some video, guaranteed to be poorly edited, if that, until I learn something.

Stubs go a long way.

Stubs go a long way.

When I was between employees, and needed to do a job solo, I terminated a speedline on the truck, and NC the speedline above me, tensioned it, and tied off to stubs. Worked in a pinch.

Love my mini porty.. Great when there are only two of us and we have to drift them out from a roof or something.
When I don't use it in a tree, I often use it for an SRT rescue anchor.
Just have to watch your wraps on one... barrel is small and I would prefer a 7/16ths line on it instead of 1/2.

Hi folks. New to this forum and thought I would chime in. I cant say I have never bear hugged before but I typically will stiff arm. The last place I want my arms is in between the rigging and the trunk which I figure is possible. In fact, I know it is. So I prefer to keep my hands where I can see em.

I own a small outfit called Ace Tree Service in Avon Lake Ohio. I have been doing residential tree work since I was 18. just over 25 years in tree work.

Which presumably makes you 43, and an experienced practitioner of this buzzardly biz?

Welcome aboard mate!

You old school, new school SRT or what?

I'm old school as a dinosaur bout somethings, and open minded bout SRT's benefits in the future, as well.

Jomo

I've never used a mini porty at all, or a porty up top. I can't say from experience how they work, but...
when you can hang a Belay Spool at the top of a non-isolated line (like most SRT Basal-ties), and can pull up a floating anchor point, and work both sides, without that problem of the round tube not allowing the rope to move very easily, you can rig some wood to the ground fast. I tell ya, sell that mini and buy a BS. When you get it dialed, show your friend, and return a favor.

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that you will get much more out of the BS than a Mini POW. The only thing is that there are not cleats for tying off. Basically this mean that you tie the tail to the tree if you need it locked. No big deal.

I'll try to get some video, guaranteed to be poorly edited, if that, until I learn something.

Stubs go a long way.

Stubs go a long way.

When I was between employees, and needed to do a job solo, I terminated a speedline on the truck, and NC the speedline above me, tensioned it, and tied off to stubs. Worked in a pinch.

I can't visualize it Sean, need some video of it.

WELCOME DOUG ACE!

Has it been mentioned, putting a knee up to help brace against your lanyard? I seem to recall Jerry mentioning that in his book.

I mention that technique in post #9, but only out on laterals when both hands are busy doin other vital stuff.

Haven't read Jerr's book unfortunately, learned the hard way it's better on top!

Jomo

Welcome Doug.

Bix, you'll maybe have to remind me later, at some point. I just got my camera and new hard drive working together. I now have to cut up some video and paste a bit together (oh, and figure that part out, too) with a couple SRT tricks that have come to me lately. I now know that need to move the camera forward on my helmet, too.

A Belay spool is only $110. I like using it with a stretchy rope, since there is less rope in the system. I'll try True Blue next.

Sounds good Sean, I really need to get a BS. Let us know when u get that footage together.

Good thread Jomo

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! Its pretty cool. Well I guess I am more old school than new. I climbed for many years on a bashlin "swing saddle" with safety blue and a taughtline hitch. I am now using a new tribe onyx with a hitch climber/hrc 8mm I2I on several different climbing lines. I sometimes will SRT into a tree but then switch over to DRT. I havnt been able to wrap my mind around the SRT thing. I know it has certain qualities but I just dont feel like it is my thing. I try to use a block when rigging when I can but I did so much work back in the day without one that sometimes I forget to use one. I consider myself rather proficient at multi crotch rigging and have rigged down more spars with false crotches than I care to remember. I never forget to use a block then lol! So I figure I am pretty much a mix of old and new school I guess. As for finding the TreeHouse, I was doing a search online for "monster tree service" which had popped up in my area. Its my understanding that this is some kind of franchise and I was (still am) curios why any one would want to go that route when starting a tree service. I stumbled across the TreeHouse at that time so I took a look. I liked what I saw and decided to join up and see where it went. I am a member at another site but have been getting kinda bored with it and figured I would mix it up a bit and see what I could learn here and maybe share a little info to.

I stiff arm for a ride, flex legs and knees to help the ride, but keep the arms locked,
The worst rides I've had are Norfolk Pines and coconuts.
The NP was a sub takedown I was doing, got up to within 15' of the top, set a pull rope and had the other company's guys pulling it. The foreman was a frenchie, so I call down 'doucement / softly'...well they pulled that top with half the hinge still to cut, DID she pop!...the ole' stiff arm saved the day.

Back