How Do You Brace Yourself When Takin A Wild Ride?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're a true tree man Butch!

No doubtaboutit mate!

Jomo

You been readin my locked threads at TB or somethin?

Yes, microbiology is fascinating in many ways!

Jomo

Good!

I'm safe from the burly guys with straight jackets tryin to lock me up!

Jomo

Ugh!

Just had this happen where I was knocking out a 15' top of a Norfolk Pine. My employer has no prior knowledge of running ropes, so I knew I was in for a rough ride. As the top comes back into the trunk, I was never thrown in my entire career as I was that day. Next day there were bruises on my knees, forearms, shoulders, inner thighs and chest. I sent him the photos to show how important it is to start paying attention more.

Of course I wanted to kill him, but as I said, he knows not what he's doing.

Norfolk and Cook Pines are some of the nastiest rides out there, that I know of. They have this unreal ability to slingshot the climber into a full on ragdoll thrashing, if not dealt with correctly.

As to the original question, I'm a user of the braced arm technique in most circumstances.

My employer had a climber before me, who refused to do them.

His excuse was that he wasn't comfortable standing on a 6" spar 50' high. I'll definitely be better prepared next time— if that's even possible.

Big difference tween tossin n catchin mate!

Jomo

Would've loved to of had that luxury.

The tree sat in between two driveways with both homes just feet from it.

The thing that freaks out a lot of outta state climbers who come to work in CA are the eucs, up to two hundred feet tall in the Bay Area of SF.

Some of the most challenging eucs outside of oz to be found!

But it's actually the millions of dinkster eucs in condo, apts and HOA's, little 75-80 footers, skinny little trashy iron barks and weak silver dollars, that require true ongoing day to day finesse in rigging, or not over rigging, for a true removal expert to shine. Stuff un reachable by cranes.

Cranes?

Cranes!

We don't need no stinkin cranes!

After a few decades it's somewhat boring, but it's good exercise that keeps me alive.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W8bFWsC7nNE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jomo

Tell me about it...

For the first couple minutes, I was sure those guys were a "green," tree company.

Tony.png

That's not quite the pushin to triangulate and stabilize I was talkin bout there Jack buddy!

Jomo8)

Just havin' some fun with a serious topic, Jomo8)

It's PPE on a different level ... :lol:

It's so dang un dignified out there on a big lateral, hanging from the bottom of that lateral by your lanyard twisting in the wind!

Learning how to prevent that from happening has more to do with bull riding than you may think!

It's that hand on your stable upper TIP lifeline compensating during the ride that keeps you on top of things.

Jomo

It's that hand on your stable upper TIP lifeline compensating during the ride that keeps you on top of things.

Jomo
Exactly.

I have a story to share about this very thing. But it also has to do with two separate disasters as the resulting action. ie: "possible product/gear failure and accident resulting with injury."

I'm currently looking for an appropriate thread to tell it in.

Back