How big can you go?

• Thread starter Bounce
  • Start date
  • Replies 118
  • Views 13K
It is all about the groundie because a cut's a cut. A good man with spot on judgment, a block and a GRCS or porty, can get the wood on the ground with minimum shock to the system... none at all if your rigging point is located where he can let the piece go all the way to the ground.

I have to do 13' pine logs every so often, usually in the 20-22" category... I hate it. Did a huge ash recently, some chunks were getting close to 30" in diameter and and about 8' long. I kept that big old huge tree trunk between me and the pieces..

It's still a huge point of pride for me that my 14 year son is the best groundie I've ever worked with. We've rigged some really big chunks, sometimes on marginal trees, only because I knew he would get the pieces down safely on the first swing without snatching the anchor.

I do have a story though. I subbed for an injured climber who got crushed against a trunk rigging off a piece that was longer than he was high off the ground. Apparently when the tip touched down the butt swung around an sandwiched his ass.

Having a really good ropeman with a fine, smooth touch is wonderful, and I'm sure it encourages cutting bigger pieces. But even then, something can go south unexpectedly. I've seen a wrap get crossed on a bollard during the fall of a piece, no way to figure how it happened, and it locked the rope up solid, no run at all.

Deva has experience taking BIG wood, and he says his ropeman Osoito is as good as they come...but I recall pics and a story from him about a failed rope and a broken water line not so long ago.

Stuff happens guys, and the more often you put your finger on the tripwire the greater the odds are that one day your turn will come around.

[...]
Stuff happens guys, and the more often you put your finger on the tripwire the greater the odds are that one day your turn will come around.

Yep, there needs to be a really good reason to take big pieces. I'd rather do lots of small ones any day. I'm not advocating for it... I'm just damned impressed with my offspring. :)

You Know here's a disclaimer. Here ye! Here ye!

I agree it's hell on gear, Smoked ropes, sliding sloughing blocks.
Twisted carabeaners, snapped cmi slings.
I have been fortunate enough to been able to experience heavy tree rigging
and it's effects on tree structure and gear. Safety is always my goal.
Though when everyone is safe, I test things a bit, I can experiment at times.

Here's the picture you were thinking of Burn.
I went too big, osito wasn't roping, it was someone else.
They had 5 wraps, shoulda been four. I should've taken it in two, alas.

We fixed it, no biggie.

I learned something, thank Goodness, no one was hurt.

My direct supervisor is in the white hard hat. Not too happy.
He decided, that we crane the rest out.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    476.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Picture%20013.jpg
    Picture%20013.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 88
Also, I just thought,

Going big can be bad for cranes, The operator said no problem.

He barely got this piece down and in effect, he's actually stuck for
whatever reason, he couldn't lift it again, we had to lay it down with the loader.

It was the butt piece.

Attachments

• IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 10
WTF was he doing on that side of the truck? He should have been at the other set of controls on the far side of the truck. Cranes are only as good as their operators. Sorta like any other rigging gear. ;)

I see a steel choker on that butt piece. Now what is the story about using those thing in the regs.

Not to cause a stir, but some one at the buzz was citing that it is not approved rigging for crane work. I don't know for sure either way.

Damn steel chokers are as secure as Ft. Knox once under tension. Hey?

As long as the chokers are the right size and don't have burrs, I don't mind. In fact, I kinda like them better for slinging them around a large stem. The shackle is a good weight, just don't hit your hand, LOL.

Hard to tell for sure from the pic, but that sure looks a sliding quik connect steel choker.

Sliding quick connect steel chokers are not approved for overhead crane work, but it's the quick connect part that's against regs, steel chokers and a clevis connector are approved.

I use them on small and medium stuff, but not on picks that heavy, I prefer 3/4 clevis' on big stuff.

It's surprising what little cranes like that can get done.

jomoco

crane-23.jpg

You look like some sort of Axe-Man action figure on that big tree Deva. Your the guy they should be filming.

First and foremost, the condition of the spar has to be able to stand up to the loads.

All the rest comes second.

Rope handler has to be spot on to maximize piece size safely, and that part is the hardest to achieve piece after piece, consistently.

You got that right SIR
No doubt at all.

You look like some sort of Axe-Man action figure on that big tree Deva. Your the guy they should be filming.

Is that Deva pictured inside the front cover of the '08 Wesspur catalog, taking down a redwood?? That's a great picture.

Also, I just thought,

Going big can be bad for cranes, The operator said no problem.

He barely got this piece down and in effect, he's actually stuck for
whatever reason, he couldn't lift it again
, we had to lay it down with the loader.

It was the butt piece.

He used the boom to get it over close to the truck, but when the boom topped out the winch couldn't lift it. With the heavy end on the ground, he could have boomed down and THEN taken up on the cable to tip it over.

He used the boom to get it over close to the truck, but when the boom topped out the winch couldn't lift it. With the heavy end on the ground, he could have boomed down and THEN taken up on the cable to tip it over.

To tip what over the crane?:D

Back