How big can you go?

• Thread starter Bounce
  • Start date
  • Replies 118
  • Views 13K
I'd rather cut twice and be sure that I'm not pushing the envelope too far, instead of cut once and wonder about it.

Cluck-cluck-cluck....

I'm thinking that Mr. B. is condoning chickenhood as a more likely to stay in one piece and alive.

It's easy enough for things to get a little "skwerly" sometimes with modest sized pieces...big honkin' pieces can add complications that can cook your goose.

cluck...cluck...cluck...bahk, bahk, bahk,bah-gahk. :)

First picture is false crotching with a portawrap. 1/2 inch line.

Second is tiptieing with a hobbs. 3/4 inch line.
We tried for 10's and 12's.

Attachments

• IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    616.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Shamredwood3.jpg
    Shamredwood3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 118
Sean my advice is go easy. I've had ribs cracked, teeth broken, and been knocked out. After a while I decided that big pieces was not always the smart play. As the logs get long and have diameter to them, a little mistake gets powerful fast. :evil:

I think the cluck cluck is more of a mother hen thing, than a chickening out thing. But I could be mistaken.

One of the best traits of a skilled tree guy is their ability to judge just how far to push things.

I pride myself on that ability.

That said, DO your nuts make a metallic clanking sound when ya walk???

Since this thread doesn't specifically mention rigging, I have a tech. I use on big wood if there is even a small LZ down there. Sometimes I will build a damn with pieces that already have gone down to contain the honkers landing from free fall so they don't bounce if there is a target nearby.

I call it the slide and prefer to do it in a bucket but will do it climbing. You just gotta make sure there is no way the saw chain can get to you legs under any circumstances (legs outa the way).

Let's say I am running an 88 with a 3' bar. I take a piece size that I can hold on the top with my left hand from coming back at me. I cut down on a decent angle using both hands. When I get to the point that the piece will cave in backwards on the bar and pinch it, I stop and force 2 twigs (wedges take too long to bring back up and twigs work) into the cut equi distant from the intended point of finished cut. After twigs are installed I begin cutting again (one hand cutting and left hand on the top of the piece) and when the bar is just about ready to finish the cut, I accelerate (maybe have to take a little pressure off the cut) and because it is wedged in the back, and cut on an angle and, now I am cutting with one hand, and holding the piece with the other hand.....the whole works goes sliding off the cliff....including the saw bar, which is now swinging like a pendulum below me.

The piece can be dropped with more accuracy than you would think as it will go right where the last bit of wood is severed.

This is a highly skilled user only trick. Pretty big reward for risk as it eliminates rigging. Again this what I am trying to do. Can't have any deflections on way down or bad bounces that will get you in trouble.

I got to get his book and videos. I got a new Bailey's on the way. I have a huge collection of both.

:thumbup::thumbup: Here Here !

I remember all to well the 066 with a 36 bar strapped to my arse on the side of more than one ponderosa. I needed a recoup day! OUCH:|::big-tongue4:

Ha! That was me on Friday accept I was in a big-ass Locust.:D

yeah and i just found my 300' 5/8 stable braid has a tweaked spot about 80' in, and the sling on my block is tweaked as well, guess thats what happens when you lower 30' to 40'long 16" to 18"dia limbs, after awhile thing weas out, and you being an equipment sales guy outta know how fast that stuff adds up,
and thats the replaceable stuff

the thing i like about up here, is 60% of the time you just move the fences and fling 24' chunks

Hey Sean thought I should add another point here that Im sure that you are aware of but hey I need to appear intelligent. Remember as you are bombing those huge honkers onto your prestine lowering line that a ropes cycles to failure is directly proportional to the % of the ropes strength and the force applied. ie if you load with say 10% of mbs you can do that 100s of times but if you do 90% it will fail after about 10 times (cannt remember exact stats). So yeah you may be able to do it but remember ALL YOUR GEAR is getting ruined. And once said damage has been done it doesnt take a huge load to make it fail. Since you work for Wespur I guess you can replace you rope, Whoppie and loopie every 10 logs ;)

Obviously just messing with ya but it always worries me about the wear on our gear that we have NO WAY of seeing and GOING BIG will exponentialy increase this wear.

Yes Im the boring ol git over here:|:

This is an exceptionally cogent point that Paul is making. Worth taking serious consideration of, imo.

Back