How are these?

JIML

Treehouser
5/8" double braid,
Guys at work broke(4 times)one of our 5/8 bull ropes, i "threw it away" for them. :D Made 3 slings and got enough left for several more.
i spliced according to samsons instructions.

Attachments

• IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 29
Whoa! Stop for a minute.
They broke 5/8s several times? How they do it?

Glad you you got something good from some one else bad decision.

Hmm but you have made these splices out of the remaining rope that was subjected to the same stress that caused it to break multiple times at other points? If that's the case I'd be a bit worried about that I think? Not for practicing on but to use those slings, I dunno.

That rope looks fairly new, very little abrasion. What were they doing, trying to pull a truck out of the mud or something?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
it had never been used prior to yesterday. yes pulling a truck out. not my idea....
I cut the hatchet knots out of the rope. I pulled the core out of each sling before I spliced it, it didn't look bad the cover didn't either...

Good deal! :thumbup:

The taper looks a little abrupt on the middle splice but I'm guessing that's from how the tag end of the core was trimmed before milking it back under the cover. Not really structural and it doesn't really affect the splice strength. Some of mine were rather abrupt as well, and they all held up fine under extended use.

Hmm but you have made these splices out of the remaining rope that was subjected to the same stress that caused it to break multiple times at other points? If that's the case I'd be a bit worried about that I think? Not for practicing on but to use those slings, I dunno.

I wouldn't use rope that's been stressed like that, but I'm anal. Maybe light duty/noncritical use.

TS

that rope looks new. Musta been a big truck and alot of pulling

that rope looks new. Musta been a big truck and alot of pulling

One of our split dumps, pulling with one of the buckets. I wasn't there so don't know the details but it was ran thru a block to re direct the pull.

They look pretty sharp. I don't like the look of large whipping, but that's just personal preference.

Regarding the whipping though, how many times does the twine go into the rope? I just see it going around and around, but not through. It is the going through that locks the cover and core together.

Bring more pics!

love
nick

um goes thru 9 times total. I just wrapped it over the passes thru..

Back