Hooklift

arborworks1

Treehouser
In my quest to eliminate trailers, I am looking into hooklift trucks. With the option to have many different boxes on site it will end the need to wait for the truck to get back.

Some input from owners or from those just highly educated:lol:

Will the lift system pull a fully loaded box up onto the truck. This will be an under cdl truck so capacity should be around 12k

Depending on which system you go with, it will lift far more than is legal. I've loaded 22.5 tons into a 40 yard box and a 10 wheeler came by and picked it up. Sure, the tires were in the sky but it didn't have issue getting it on.

Assuming you think it through and get boxes suitable for the lift you're using, and you don't overload the boxes past CDL, you'll be fine.

Payload of 12k? That's a fairly heavy chassis, the hook/cable lift systems aren't cheap nor light.

IMO you'll still be waiting on the truck, it can only haul one box at a time and you'll be leaving the workers stranded (unless you go to a two truck setup).

For weight savings, I'd probably go with a cable system, although otherwise I'd go with a hook every time.

Hook lifts are a good setup IMO. It is easier to load with the box on the ground. The truck would need to drop one box and go get another so 2 boxes will be on hand.

You can start a business where you place a box on a customer's property, let them fill it, and then collect it.

I really like the idea. The possibilities seem endless for a growing business. One good truck and a few different tops, and you're ready for anything. They even will put a spray body on one, very cool.

TS

It's on my list for things to get in the future if I continue to do this. A local tree service here uses the hell out of them on the smaller Internationals. Chip body, flatbed, log bed, dumpster, whatever floats your boat. I'd like something the size of an F650.

here in town theres a guy that has one but a narrower one fits inside so he can take two at a time. i think there some sort of hole in the bigger one in the front that a cable goes thru to pull it inside of the other

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah the idea was to have one dropped and start loading and go grab another box (if needed) Plus i thought about the possibility of drop cans to generate extra income. I just like the idea of being able to put any thing on the back of the truck that I can come up with. I might be streching the limits with 12k payload.

But I think an average load in LJ's dump trailer was about 8500 pounds

With minimal work the dump trailer could be turned into a roll off setup offering 9-10k in payload, although it would be a class A trailer.

With minimal work the dump trailer could be turned into a roll off setup offering 9-10k in payload, although it would be a class A trailer.

Again trying to eliminate trailers!:D
But you are correct easy transform. keep it behind the 1 ton and you will be fine.

I've found a 1 ton is cheaper than a medium duty chassis. Been nearly a month and a half since I used the chip truck.

However, a trailered roll off isn't as productive as a chassis roll off, unless we're talking 20T+ payloads. If you have the work and the man power, mo power to ya!

Some, but if the job is big enough for it, it's big enough to need the dump trailer to haul the logs and the dump trailer as is can haul as many chips as the chip truck.

I'm not giving up on it yet, it costs me very little to sit there.

Re: the chipper, I can dump any woody debris for free, thus on jobs were I can bomb the limbs straight in the back, that's what I do!

Today/Tomorrow's job is of decent size ($2.5k), but I won't need the chipper. Last time I used the chipper was on that big oak tree.

Yes here is where the difference comes in, we can dump chips for free, only. All wood has to be taken to recycle yard.

Still working on some local farmers for a burn pile location. Last guy that was doing this was fined 50 grand.

Back