Home Security

If need be Mrs Smith has access to a double barrel 410 .Her usual weapon of choice is a broom though .

Fact a few years ago she decided to beat on a raccoon that was digging in her flower bed .Brer coon about took the broom away from her .She fled the scene with much haste .

Mr Smith, you are a riot!:lol:

I still want a pistol grip 20ga 18.5" barrel and extended mag someday for the wife. Right now revolvers are used over autos due to simple no malfunctions in heat of moment.

My dad went with the magnum judge .410 I wanted to test out, but never made it down to check out. It's good for him with his bad hand shakes and shoots 3-5 lead balls per shot. I was pretty impressed with it once I did get down there to shoot it into a target to see for myself. Pic hitting your head and chest on same shot.

I dont get the pistol grip thing? If you want a pistol grip for ease, buy a pistol. Personally, I think a shotgun is the best home defence weapon bar none, loaded with light shot - but thats because I would prefer an intruder to be hurting like hell and regretting invading my space, rather than dead.
But the pistol grip thing doesn't make sense - If your firing from the hip, a conventional rifle or shotgun stock is much more ergonomic. I also dont like pump actions - I prefer a double barrel over and under, or an auto loader.

I'm partial to number 4 buck shot for a home defense load, enough power to tear someone up, but minimizes collateral damage and over penetration.
I played with a Judge, I really liked the idea until I handled and shot it, terribly front heavy, bulky and not friendly to control IMO.

A pistol might be superior on the street or for carry but a shotgun rules the roost so to say. If you ever have to walk out your front door and clear the porch that Mossberg is your best friend. Its a lot easier to hit a target with a shotgun as well as being harder to disarm. The sound of it shucking can also be as scary as anything.

A shotgun is all around better for home defense IMO. Especially if someone/thing is rushing you.

:rockhard: There's only one thing I know that'll make the heart race faster than the sound of jacking a round into the chamber of a pump shotgun. :D

- but thats because I would prefer an intruder to be hurting like hell and regretting invading my space, rather than dead.

Where I live, that would get you in deep with the law. If you shoot, you better be shooting to kill, not injure or maim. Intruders have successfully sued homeowners for their injuries. No shit.

I'm partial to number 4 buck shot for a home defense load, enough power to tear someone up, but minimizes collateral damage and over penetration.
I played with a Judge, I really liked the idea until I handled and shot it, terribly front heavy, bulky and not friendly to control IMO.

Over penetration is a valid concern, especially with other people in the house. That's why I keep the Beretta PX4 for this use; the 10mm auto would probably penetrate an intruder, four or five walls, and still be lethal when it leaves the house for parts unknown.

Mr Smith, you are a riot!:lol:
Pshaw I ain't nothing .You should see Mrs Smith when she's on the war path .Just the sound of her voice will make dogs tuck tail and most men take notice and run .

I think it's time for her to turn in her broom and graduate to a Louisville slugger .Probabley a 36" Babe Ruth special could ring a bell or two if she were pizzed .I've heard tell she's hell on wheels with a frying pan too .I don't intend ever to find out from personal experiance though .

Pistol v shotgun:

Best of both worlds!

(Sawed_Off).jpg

Alas, we cannot own such a beauty in America...it's been declared illegal by the enlightened morons who make our rules.

They wouldn't be too bad. Main thing is, intimidation factor!

Using pine cones for toilet paper doesn't sound fun either, but it's not illegal, so far as I know...

Pistol v shotgun:

Best of both worlds!

(Sawed_Off).jpg

When I was 18 and lived in MT we (me and a friend) had something like that we kept with us traveling. I dont know what ever happened to it. Also used to keep a 18.5" one legal in the truck gun rack. Used to get checked on that when camping in forest.

Yes we knew it was illegal. We were also the Security Police on the base. Still wouldnt have helped if we got pulled over on or off base.

Would like in 20. :P

Deadly gunfights are mostly within contact to 3 feet 86, 3-6 119, 6-15 24, 15-25 12 , 9 others. 205 deaths to officers were within 6 feet out 250. Thats why I like pistol grips on shotguns and that is the way I train with them, even though the ones we carry for work have a stock on them I grip shoot whn allowed on range. Why stick the gun on your shoulder within 6 feet. Keep it tucked in or pistol grip away from assailants reach.

DisplayPic.aspx.jpg

I have a pistol grip for my Mossberg 500, and also a pistol grip folding stock, but I put the wood stock back on it. It just feels better. I still say I would prefer a pistol in most encounters. Either hand operational, and, with a laser, pretty much either hand, any position accuracy.

I'm trying to envision holding an intruder at bay with one arm, while aiming and firing a combat shogun with the other....

Nope.

Considering you just might wake up to said intruder grabbing at your person, I think it's a valid scenario; in these discussions, it seems people always assume they're going to get the jump on the intruder- which doesn't always happen in reality.

Much easier for me to hold him with one hand and grab my .40 out of the night stand with the other, than to reach for my 870.

Just my opinion. :)

I had a laser on a .40. Pretty slick, just put the dot where you want to hit. Just remember in the dark it leads right back to you.

Jeez. The day I sleep through an intruder breaking into my house, getting past the dogs, up the stairs and into my room, I'll need putting down myself. I wake up to my daughters teddy bear falling out of bed three rooms away.

Incidentally, an intruder bending over me is likely to get 10 inches of steel in the kidneys.

Incidentally, an intruder bending over me is likely to get 10 inches of steel in the kidneys.

If you're actually at that point, then you' re not in a very good position to deliver that particular blow, lol.

Back