HOBBS mod

Ha...took me about a week to figure how to get a pic up from my phone. I bought the Hobbs only because I could add the versatility of a quick lift by also getting an X Wheel. Think there are about ten of these in existance and apparantly no more will be produced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha...took me about a week to figure how to get a pic up from my phone. I bought the Hobbs only because I could add the versatility of a quick lift by also getting an X Wheel. Think there are about ten of these in existance and apparantly no more will be produced.

I have seen those wheels but irrc they are kind of expensive.

Oh Rajan?
I did see at one time, that there is a ratcheting bar for the trailer strap winches. Those run about 65-95 depending. I thought about one of those too when I ordered my current bar. I wish I could find the link I saved :|::|:

Ok so you posted a link did you! You sly dog!
Cool, I wonder if they would fit? But no I have not seen those before.

I would think so.. But I was going to call them for the dimensions......The KK is a pretty standard ratcheting winch like on a flat bed. Dunno about the Hobbs....
There are dimensions on this one in this picture...
7005-R.jpg

That X wheel is just too big. Good idea in theory, but as mentioned, too big and too expensive. A socket is cheap and just as effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really good of you to print a "retraction" OMTC. You're a man among men. I've known about the Hobbs for 35 years or so and always felt like I could do without one till I saw it operated in combo with that wheel. The wheel makes it a fully functional lifting machine. If anyone wanted to see that it's in the first 3 min of David Drivers Tulip tree dismantle on YouTube.

It's "X" dollars, of course. Tax is xtra. Xcellent tool, for xcentric tree guys. You'll be xstatic. Xackly.

A Gray 2-1/4" socket is too big. :( OD is considerably wider than the Hobbs ID. (I asked the fellow selling it how much he wanted and he said $5.00. I thought that was too much of a bargain for what it was gonna accomplish for the Hobbs, so I gave him $10. Lol.)

Not 100% sure flushcut, think David is closing them out at $450.

I probably should have acknowledged from the get go that the ratchet idea is a vast improvement over a winch bar. Anyone who has gone along with that should love the ratchet.

A Gray 2-1/4" socket is too big. :( OD is considerably wider than the Hobbs ID. (I asked the fellow selling it how much he wanted and he said $5.00. I thought that was too much of a bargain for what it was gonna accomplish for the Hobbs, so I gave him $10. Lol.)

I bought the socket from Tractor Supply and can't remember their brand but when I measured the OD of the socket it was 3" and the ID of the HOBBS was 3".

Not 100% sure flushcut, think David is closing them out at $450.

I probably should have acknowledged from the get go that the ratchet idea is a vast improvement over a winch bar. Anyone who has gone along with that should love the ratchet.

I thought they were about the much.

Easy to turn on a lathe to make a fit.

Back