Highly unusual felling cut

Interesting concept, how ever up here it would be more in line with civic planning to install proper retaining walls or fencing for loose falling rocks. Not sure if it was temporary measure, all I understood was "derriere".

I'm late to the discussion as usual.
Time difference, ya know.
I've seen that done a lot in Schweiz.
Not against rockfalls but as avalance blockades.
The guy who originally thought that out has my respect. Quite a feat.

Jed, say you want to install the blockade in a really steep place with houses and stuff underneath.
What is going to hold the first tree you fall, if you don't use this method?
Or do you plan on letting the first one slide into the buildings, so you can use the stump from that one to hold the next one?
They are not doing this for fun.

That makes sense. I guess I win the redneck award on this thread for criticizing things just because I'm unfamiliar with them. An inbred tendency. :(

Reads like a temporary solution for a permanent problem. Wouldn't the felled trees decompose faster that the next generation would be ready to be wasted?

My old logging partner Franz told me a story about a similar method they did for avalanche control in Switzerland back in the early 1970's.
They were using Stihl Contras with 42" bars and lashed the felled timber with 1/2" cable and clamps.

I think I need to watch the vid again, maybe twice.
:)

OK, I did.

It's interesting, I'll give it that, but certainly entails some risk to the faller when the tree slips off.

Nice modern springboard, never seen one like that.

Anyone get what the quick shot of placing the chocker was about?

Well, I can guess, too :D. Hoped someone able to follow the lingo could help, like Mick maybe.

Never saw any application, that I could tell, anyway.

Ok had another listen (the chocker is of course the rope above the climber at the beginning)
I heard no reference to it all in the vid.
Either they use it as a belt and braces thing or, more likely, it's just a generic clip of a climber setting a line for a machine.

Those boot cleats must be real slippery on that Aluminum spring board.

Why not make a more regular stump, say waist high, still get the tree to slip off and lodge uphill of the stump, with a lot less cutting, basically same end result?

Usually done below a clear cut in ravines where the avalance will go through.
When you clear cut an area, there is nothing to hold the snow back, so the avalance danger increases untill new trees are growing.
Hence the wooden barrier.
In areas of permanent danger, permanent barriers are put up.
I tried to find a picture of the one in Susten pass CH, but no luck.
It is a series of HUGE concrete blocks across the bottom of the valley. looks kinda like part of the old Maginot line.
My first impression when seeing it was that it was to keep enemy tanks out, but then I found out that an avalance once ate the village, so they put it up.

Living in a mountainous country, they have a few different ways to keep rocks from falling on roads, avalanche corneal as well. Large heavy gauge steel nets strung across hillsides are quite common. Generally galvanised material. Often strung on vertical or nearly so ground, but have yet to see how they do it.

I've felled some tree on slopes before where I didn't want them to slide down hill so I put an oversized face cut in it. The tree hits the ground before the face closes so it stays attached. Not sure how long that would last though. I imagine the tree would settle itself in the ground long before it would rot off the stump

Back