Highly unusual felling cut

I think that what they're up to is a slightly over-complicated butt-slip stump for the purpose of saving out timber that has to be felled over really bad ground. Cutters out here utilize but-slip techniques, but shy away from them for obvious reasons.

:O

They be wanting to keep the tree in place held tight up against the stump and faced cross hill after it hits the ground, is my theory.

Yeah, i was wondering about erosion control too, Wally. Then I got to thinking how wood rots quickly on the ground like that.

Ok, I've re listened, it's to reduce the risk of stones falling down the slope (onto any houses below) the trees will stay there to form a barrier.

Also the method prevents the crown from becoming hung up in another tree because it drops before it falls. Pretty clever really.
Apologies.

Okay, so the stump is like a peg that sticks out of the ground, and the trunk is a retaining wall that is held in position by the peg?

Precisely, the clever bit is the way the crown is prevented from hanging up (remembering it's selective not clear fell) because of the way it "drops" as well as topples. Advanced technique for sure.

Nick: Sorry... Don't get your illustration.

Mick: The no hangup thing I get... What I DON'T get is the erosion control business; because, you know: just falling the trees sidehill normally, would accomplish that just as well eh?

Plus, the no hang-up business just strikes me as adding one more danger just to avoid another.

They want the butt of the tree to be well behind the stump to hold it in place better.
I'm no logger so I can't say anything about its efficiency in comparison to ordinarily felled wood.

O.k.... We're starting to talk about forestry methods, I guess, which are definitely beyond my ken.

But I must say... I really don't see how getting the tree to rest behind this stump and not that (the one downhill of the one you felled) one is really going to make any difference.

Still...... It's quite a trick.

Back