Hey Joggers!

Nick, lift some old ladies purse in a busy street, I betcha you find a reason to run then! :P

I average about 15 miles a week. I just put in a few here and there after workouts in the gym or outside when the weathers nice. Sore legs is one of the most satisfying feelings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice EWSA. :beerchug:

The guilt of not running for almost a decade is sinking in!

Way to go Nick!

Sinking in is before thinking is before believeing is before doing.

You're well on your way to a couple miles a day.

I want to get up to where I can run along the beach to work, maybe 6.5 miles
and get a ride home in the afternoon a couple days a week.

I just read an interesting article in Men's Health that said that running harder and faster is better than running long distances. Think 'suicides' on a b-ball court, or 'burners' on the street (run at a normal pace and then sprint for a stretch between telephone poles, repeat)

I have a few routes I run in my neighborhood, with varying distances and terrain. I quit smoking for new years and my vacation/holiday weight is depressing. I plan on running everyday, so I look good in my speedo this summer;)

I just read an interesting article in Men's Health that said that running harder and faster is better than running long distances. Think 'suicides' on a b-ball court, or 'burners' on the street (run at a normal pace and then sprint for a stretch between telephone poles, repeat)

Intervals are a great way to train.

If I'm not chasing a ball, I don't run anymore. I just don't have that cross country body anymore. I find it much more gratifying to run now with the hope of ruining someone's day on the other end of that sprint.:D

Intervals are the way to go, having said that I often fall into a moderate pace and daydream a bit while jogging/running. Thinking of trying an actual track and running the straights and jogging the turns. Trail running is pretty fun too.

Intervals are the way to go, having said that I often fall into a moderate pace and daydream a bit while jogging/running. Thinking of trying an actual track and running the straights and jogging the turns. Trail running is pretty fun too.

One really good way to keep your mind on the run, is to wear a heartbeat monitor. You can set the better models to beep if your pulse gets too low, that'll keep you on your toes.
Also if you are running along feeling like you are pushing yourself a little and you look at the monitor and see a working pulse of less than 100-120, you are fooling yourself.........more speed.
I took an instructor course in vascular training some years back, they taught us a great way to really build up Heart/lung condition, that I used when I was still an active fighter ( I still fight, but not seriously anymore).
Set the monitor to beep at pulse 120/min. Run long enough to get "the oil warmed up", I used to do 2½ miles. Then you start running intervals: Jog slowly in place waiting for your pulserate to fall to 120, at the beep, run as fast as you possibly can for as long as you can keep it up. and I'm talking about seeing red spots in front of your eyes before stopping. Then jog in place until the beeper goes off again and repeat.
Keep repeating until you are done in. This is really hard, but you'll soon be able to do more intervals and with shorter breaks to get the pulse down.
I used to run the 2½ miles out and do intervals the whole way home. Takes ½ hour and gives you a great workout. Perfect for the busy man or him who'd rather spend time in the dojo than pounding asfalt.
I have always hated running, but until my knees gave in, I ran 3 times a week, nothing else substitutes for building condition IMO.

i was getting quite into my running (my good lady is a runner and looks good in lycra:D) i only try to run in the hills (which are a 20 min run from my house). i was going well until my IT (illiotibial) band decided that i'd done enough. now i get to about 20 mins and i have to stop due to the pain. i've tried physio but no success, stretching it doesn't seem to work. and work seems to agrevate it :cry:

before my IT band affected me too much i did the hunters bog trot a short race round the hill in teh centre of town. i wasn't feeling good and my leg started acting up. i'f you're really keen they even got pictures of me. there are about 4 of me but look for pictures 6 and 97.

i want to get back into it, i was quite enjoying my 7 miles runs, marking off all the hills that i was running (and planning mountains)

Jamie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alot of the time it's not the workout I want, but running through the trails like a hound on Bigfoot's heels.

Interval work Stig? We called that Fartlek. Or indian file. No offense to Indians.

I think trail running is awesome.

MB, starting slow is the best way to do it. How long have you been running?

Never in my life until about three months ago. I've always walked my treadmill, but in order to speed things up I started running - intervals. I'm up to a .25 running, then a .25 walking break, then repeat for a total of 5 miles. Next week I'll bump the running up to .30, which will reduce the walking break part to .20.

My goal is to eventually run the entire five miles.

cool.....careful of those knees.

My form of trail runninng is more like "sport bushwhacking". power hike up hills, crawl sometimes...speed it up on the downhills

I actually ran cross country for a year in 8th grade. I was also in wrestling for a year, just never had the skill or desire to pursue it further. I was always too small to participate in team sports.

That's what I mean...pretty much an all out sprint at those distances, it requires mean azz stamina. Never knew about the elbows thing.
I ran the hurdles in high school, but I'm slow. I was only good enough to get into one meet, and I tripped over the last hurdle and went sprawling on my face....never heard the end of it from my friends :|:

Back