Helmet Cam - Rock Bottom Price

Nick,
I ordered the Contour Roam and I should have it Friday or Saturday. Besides charging it, is it usable "out of the box"? :? I understand there's a program(or something)that needs to be downloaded but, is the camera set to a "default" setting that allows it to be used "as is" after charging(and installing the micro sd card)? :? The reason I ask is I've got a couple Pines I'm taking down Saturday afternoon and I'm hoping to take it on a test/trial run. Any feedback at all would great! :) I really appreciate it! :D
Oh yeah, this is the "walk around" video of the two Pines I'm taking down.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/clXf7rDg7gk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nick,
I ordered the Contour Roam and I should have it Friday or Saturday. Besides charging it, is it usable "out of the box"? :? I understand there's a program(or something)that needs to be downloaded but, is the camera set to a "default" setting that allows it to be used "as is" after charging(and installing the micro sd card)? :? The reason I ask is I've got a couple Pines I'm taking down Saturday afternoon and I'm hoping to take it on a test/trial run. Any feedback at all would great! :) I really appreciate it! :D
Oh yeah, this is the "walk around" video of the two Pines I'm taking down.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/clXf7rDg7gk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Besides Charging it should be usable right out of the box. It might already be charged, I think mine was?

Here is the program you will need, this will allow you to change the setting on the camera, however the stock settings should be fine for video.
http://store.contour.com/ae/us/storyteller/icat/storyteller?setpagenum=

My only concern would be the mount, it says to let it set for 24 hours before use... I am sure I didnt :) be so impatient myself. I have a small loop of accessory cord (total loop size 1/4" ?) that I put through the tiny slot on the camera, its maybe .5-1mm, pretty small. I have another loop set through two small holes in my helmet right behind the mount and I clip a keychain biner through them to ensure it doesnt go anywhere. I have knocked it off ziplining and doing some other reckless stuff so its a good safety measure.

Spend some time getting the mount location right, dont just slap it on there. The contour has one push button on the back that brings a laser out and shows the field of view. Works best inside. Try and get it so it will capture as much in front and as little helmet as possible. I just set the helmet on the table and moved it around till it looked best, the lens also rotates so keep that in mind (wording 'countour' indicates bottom of FOV).

I went with the swivel mount on my primary helmet, which is nice because you can tilt it down to get your waist to nipple area, for knot tying, saw work etc.

Excited for you buddy! I have thought about picking up a few MORE roams, they are still going for $100 on eBay.

and see? you already found the money to pay for that camera... Its in those pine stumps!

What kind of computer do you use? Faster, slower? For your first time editing, especially if you have an older or less powerfull computer it will be worth it to turn the resolution down from 1080, to either 'contour large' which is 960p, or even 720p. The difference on a monitor between 720p and 1080p is pretty negligible, on 70" TV you can see it, but only if you know to look. Having it set at 720p will make a huge difference in file size, battery life, memory use, optimizing time, uploading time, editing ease (with a slower machine) etc. Youtube defaults the playback to either 360p or 460p anyway so unless a user selects HQ they wont appreciate the 1080p anyway. I wouldnt spend the time to edit or upload anything less than 720p because down the line you will look at it and go, 'really, why didnt I do it right?' which is what I did, now 720p is the lowest res I edit in.

ALSO the roam has a slightly smaller angle of FOV when on 1080p (150 degrees IIRC), so using the 960p or 720p option will increase the field of view by about 20 degrees (170 degrees IIRC).

When recording try to avoid one 45 minute video. Keep the clips short and try to signal the beginnning with hand signals or an 'audio cut board' (say loud once its on 'knocking out the first top' or 'the second notch' or 'limbing shot 3') when you are editing it will make it easier especially if you have 10 clips 1-2mins each as opposed to one 1 hour and 16minute shot to watch.

Its super important that you find a way to watch the video on a TV though... Most monitors or pc screens dont do it justice (unless you have a huge HD computer monitor I guess..) I use my xbox or other web enabled TV. You can always put the completed movie back on the contour and then connect it to your TV via USB and watch it that way.. Same thing with the clips.

See the attachment. I use the Same cord on the cam and attach with a key biner

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365103462153.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365103462153.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 49
Besides Charging it should be usable right out of the box. It might already be charged, I think mine was?

My only concern would be the mount, it says to let it set for 24 hours before use... I am sure I didnt :) be so impatient myself. I have a small loop of accessory cord (total loop size 1/4" ?) that I put through the tiny slot on the camera, its maybe .5-1mm, pretty small. I have another loop set through two small holes in my helmet right behind the mount and I clip a keychain biner through them to ensure it doesnt go anywhere. I have knocked it off ziplining and doing some other reckless stuff so its a good safety measure.

Spend some time getting the mount location right, dont just slap it on there. The contour has one push button on the back that brings a laser out and shows the field of view. Works best inside. Try and get it so it will capture as much in front and as little helmet as possible. I just set the helmet on the table and moved it around till it looked best, the lens also rotates so keep that in mind (wording 'countour' indicates bottom of FOV).

I went with the swivel mount on my primary helmet, which is nice because you can tilt it down to get your waist to nipple area, for knot tying, saw work etc.

Excited for you buddy! I have thought about picking up a few MORE roams, they are still going for $100 on eBay.

Putting a "safety line" on will be one of my top priorities for sure. Also will make time to try to get it "lined up".

and see? you already found the money to pay for that camera... Its in those pine stumps!

What kind of computer do you use? Faster, slower? I wouldnt spend the time to edit or upload anything less than 720p because down the line you will look at it and go, 'really, why didnt I do it right?' which is what I did, now 720p is the lowest res I edit in.

ALSO the roam has a slightly smaller angle of FOV when on 1080p (150 degrees IIRC), so using the 960p or 720p option will increase the field of view by about 20 degrees (170 degrees IIRC).

When recording try to avoid one 45 minute video. Keep the clips short and try to signal the beginnning with hand signals or an 'audio cut board' (say loud once its on 'knocking out the first top' or 'the second notch' or 'limbing shot 3') when you are editing it will make it easier especially if you have 10 clips 1-2mins each as opposed to one 1 hour and 16minute shot to watch.

Its super important that you find a way to watch the video on a TV though... Most monitors or pc screens dont do it justice (unless you have a huge HD computer monitor I guess..) I use my xbox or other web enabled TV. You can always put the completed movie back on the contour and then connect it to your TV via USB and watch it that way.. Same thing with the clips.

Nick,
you can say that again. :D I'll be gettin' enough to cover the camera for sure, and other "stuff". ;)
I'm using a Toshiba laptop with an I3 processor(4gb of RAM I think). Not "super fast" but seems to work OK.
Whenever I video my work my "S.O.P." is to take "short" clips. I've also found it's easier to edit that way. :)
I really appreciate you passing along your experience, it's pretty obvious in your videos you've put a lot of time into
"getting it right". It'll save me a whole lot of time and headaches.
The tracking info I just checked has it at my local post office, so maybe it'll get here tomorrow, but they still have it
scheduled for Saturday. :( I'll update when I get it, hopefully with some video!!! :D
Thanks again for all your help/suggestions/recommendations!

Randy

Camera came in today! :D I did have to charge it. Formatted the SD card per the instructions, no problem. Just took a test video of myself loading gear for tomorrow afternoon's take downs(which is paying for the camera,and other toys/tools ;)). Looks pretty good. The camera seems very basic and easy to use, just the way I like it. :D Excited to get some helmet cam footage onto a video! I'll try to post an update tomorrow night.....:thumbupold:

Sweet!

Here is a picture showing the tripod, the little cord loop on the back of the camera and my 'branch tether'. You can also see the scratches from when my dog tried to eat it. The aluminum foiled her plan!

20130405_181732.jpg

It certainly doesnt have the features of the new GoPro Black but it was 1/4 the cost and still takes great footage.

Did you decide what resolution and degree of field you are going to shoot in? One way to test it to set it on your table and take a shot of 1080, walk around in front it etc. then try the same thing with 960 ensuring you leave it in the same place.

Attachments

• 20130405_181732.jpg
    20130405_181732.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 33
I haven't downloaded the program to do that yet. I only had time to pack gear for tomorrow, get the contour up and running, get it mounted on my helmet, and test it.(I also ordered the Big Shot which came in today so I had to fire that off several times to get a feel for it. It'll be a big help tomorrow, WOW!!!, what an awesome tool! :D)
I ordered the "Watersport" kit so it came with the surfboard mount, so I had to get a little "creative". I have it fastened to the helmet very securely using the tripod mount hole on the bottom. I'll definitely have to order the other mount to have the ability to swivel it around. I must have misread the description when I bought it, I thought I remember it gave the contents of the box as containing other "surface mounts". :|:
As I said, the test video looked OK so I'll go with that for now. I'm assuming it's 720? Nice looking setup you've got with the tripod and tether. :thumbup: From some of the reviews I've read the contour is a very sturdy camera and hard to break, even the dog can't eat it. :lol:
Have a good weekend. Gotta get some sleep, up at 4am to get ready for work(6am-11am OT at the shop, then home to change and go cut!:D) Thanks again for all your help and encouragement! :thumbup:

hmm.. It probly ships set on either 1080, or 'contour hd' which is 960...

Nick,
finally had time to sit and download the program for my contour. Hooked it up to my laptop and it says "Contour HD 720". If that's true, I really am impressed with this camera. I started the take down on those two Pines Saturday but the work was slowed down a lot by the wind. The sun was shining but the wind was blowing pretty good for most of the afternoon so I took a lot of time making sure the rigging was right/safe. I was able to get some video with the contour. Like I said, this camera is AWESOME!!! :D To me the video quality was great, I was thinking it must be set for 1080, nope, 720. Makes me want to get some video in 1080 just to see the difference. ;) I would have absolutely no problem keeping it in 720. The field of vision is excellent, it can get pretty much everything that's going on in front of me. I banged it into branches and trunk a few times, didn't seem to bother the camera at all. :) Very easy to operate, no problems at all. :D If I could figure out a "quick" way to post a video clip I'd give ya' a little sample.....:? , not really "up to date" on all this "tech stuff". :|:

I think I got it, a real short clip of some speedline.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c1c4kDiZ8c8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks good!

Thanks! :thumbup:
No question, I am very impressed/happy with this camera.....:D
Gonna have to go back to finish the job, but the "worst" of it is done. ;)

Nick,
what would be easier to work with/do a better job editing? Quicktime or Windows movie maker? I'm using movie maker right now.....

Back