Grapple Bucket/Rake

I know putting a longer cylinder would lessen the opening, but I don't think the opening needs to be quite as much. I must admit the design was rather poor and I would not have bought it if someone had shown me pictures like I took. After paying $250 to have it shipped to Hawaii, I wasn't about to send it back.

I don't like the big openings between the tines either. I tried scooping up broken concrete and a lot of it fell through, coupled with the fact that the grapple could not close down enough. I have 2 standard mini skid buckets, so I may take my torch and arc welder and play with it when I have some time.

or roll the hinge down to the front instead of the top. that would give enough "overbite" along with dropping the original height of top clamp and not need to get a new cylinder. wouldnt solve the whole issue but would help immensily

True, it could. My grapple bucket doesn't grip anything smaller than about 2' 6"' in dia. and it isn't a problem. I'm just so glad that I don't have to lift it by hand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It looks like Toro makes a grapple rake that is truley bypass, or able to grab smaller peices for that matter.

Attachments

• dg22317_grapple_r_1943_18_xl.jpg
    dg22317_grapple_r_1943_18_xl.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya I think so too. I do some landscrape stuff here and there, might come in handy. It's not going anywhere and I don't need it right now anyway. Gotta save save save, with this housing market where it is, I'd be stupid not to pick something up within 2 years. The average home around here was 500K+, acre of land and a cookie cutter home. I've seen 8 acres with a nice little house on th market for only 275k.

definatly try for the house.
2500 sounds steep for those but they look like a great tool

I examined my grapple bucket very closely today and I figure the way to mod it is to cut the back section and lower it by 7 inches. Also cut out the piece between the tines that the upper section hits against and weld a support further back. The jaws should open just as wide (but 7 inches shorter) and squeeze down to about 6 inches.

I remember taking a load of several short (2-4 feet) logs ranging in size from 3 to 6 inches and when I hit a bump, half the load fell off because the jaws weren't squeezing the load. You gotta have tight pressure on the load or it will fall off when you are moving.

Nothing against Dave but we bend the crap out of our BM so now ive reinforced it with 3/8 plate.
My guys can and will break anything.
Im not to bad at that either:D
I have a two in one bucket that would be easy to mod into a grapple but the BM seems the way to go IMO

Back