Good miniskid for $5-7k?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think that is too bad of a price for a machine with 450 hrs. I'm not sure about the tires though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I would pass on a 2003 vermeer. After we had some electrical issues and the $6000 hydraulic pump go out on ours, the dealer flat out said the early machines were guinea pigs. They were learning on the go and we consumers get to pay for their mistakes. Mine is an 06, so I would hate to see what kind of problems an 03 has.

Did you say $6000 hyd pump on a mini??!!!!!!!!!! Someone at Vermeer should be shot for that. I cant even fathom how a hyd pump on a mini could cost 6 grand. Then again, I can. Vermeer hit me $75 for a 15" oil dipstick. Oh, and I need a 3" bolt with a cheap steel bushing on it as well. They tell me $180. I despise Vermeer anymore.

I would pass on a 2003 vermeer. After we had some electrical issues and the $6000 hydraulic pump go out on ours, the dealer flat out said the early machines were guinea pigs. They were learning on the go and we consumers get to pay for their mistakes. Mine is an 06, so I would hate to see what kind of problems an 03 has.
6 grand for the pump! They really stuck it to ya! Mine is a 03 and I priced the pumps from vermeer before I bought it and they were 1500 and about a grand to install. There are ways to check the pump to tell if its going out. I have had mine for four years with no issues.

The dealer I use takes good care of me. I have the mini and chipper and dont feel I have been over charged for any parts or service.

I was in shock when they told me $6000 as well. The machine only had 400 hours on it at the time and has over 900 hours on it now. We worked out a deal (if you want to call it that) that Vermeer would split the cost with me.

Mine has turf tires, which don't offer great traction. We've gotten stuck a couple of times in places I'm sure tracks would have gotten out of. Also a flat tire once. That being said, they do very little damage on manicured lawns, especially if you don't drive over the same spot multiple times. I guess it's a trade off.

Is it generally accepted that tires do less turf damage? I have never noticed any turf damage with the tracked machines that we used. We recently did a landscape job and used a Dingo to bring rock out and lots of rock and mulch and soil in. We kept traveling in the exact same path. There was some turf damage but it was mostly superficial.... almost no compaction.

I have a tracked machine, I don't think it's any harder on turf than the wheeled machines, maybe on very soft ground. We lay down plywood in spots we have to turn sharp or zero turn. A good operator makes a big difference.

Yeah I have a wheeled machine, if I had the choice I'd go with tracks. The wheeled machines tear up turf really bad if you're not careful. At least with the tracks you would be able to get out of a lot of situations the wheeled machines cannot.

jp:D

:thumbup:
I like my tracks... A light hand on the steering is not too bad on turf... So long as it is not wet. Play wood goes a long way either way. Shows the client you care anyway...

Tracks are nice. I tend to work on softer ground more often than not and if you are mindful of your steering turf damage is limited to just some grass being sheered off at the dirt not rolled up sod and in a week, not a trace.
If any ruts are left they are easily picked out with a fork.

As I understand it tracks cost more to buy and replace and have more moving/replaceable parts. I run my tire machine with turf tires. Very low impact with me running it.

Uhhh this is going to sound crazy but I just spent almost 1K to replace the tires on my mini Kanga. The tires are special size that was not available in the US had to order them from Australia. Then I get them, and realize my old ones were foam filled so I do that, and by the time we added up the cost of the tires, shipping and getting them foam filled I was close to 1K in, I hope they last a long time!

jp:D

I can't even get anyone to foam fill them here... It was a consideration in my decision. One little manzanita stick will easily puncture a tire. Hell... it will tear or go through a rubber track with kevlar in it.

This thread is taking on a new importance for me.... We are starting our search for a new mini. We could be some time off, but we starting the process. Pretty cool!

I will be getting one of those when our ball cart needs to be replaced. Nick does such a good job going on and on and on and on and on about those, it kind of wears you down after time.

Back