Good Mechanics, worth their weight in platinum?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sean, meaning 3 men and iron is more work?

You're processing more material with iron, right? A climber and two groundies with a six inch chipper are cutting a lot of firewood. You're big chipper handles a lot more pounds of material. You're dealing with bigger loads all around. As you say, you have some big jobs that you need to pound out. You get the big jobs in part because of the iron, I'd imagine. Everything is upscaled. Iron is like having 2-3 times the work out of each employee, no? Wouldn't that sorta make it like 6-9 man crew. I figure my loader does the work of 3 guys.

Ok i get it, point taken.

I do most of my work myself, usually. I had an oil cooler blow on the F550 and decided to take it to the (independent) shop. They fawked it up 3 different times and ways that caused the truck to be non serviceable after they said it was done. Didn't plug in the MAP sensor, broke the VGT Solenoid connector and didn't bother to fix it, let the fan clutch wires get in the fan due to sloppy installation (known issue). There was other issues like them not tightening the hose clamp on the turbo's intake, a hose leaked and needed to be adjusted, took 3+ weeks (they said they called to tell me it was ready), did a half ass coolant flush job... stuff like that.

Once I get a shop or at least a pole barn, I'll likely do all of my non warranty work in house. I'm already contemplating buying a tire machine so I don't have to deal with those idiots. I spent 3.5 hours at Walmart getting 4 tires put on my truck monday, for example.

Good tire guys we actually have here, no problemo!!

the other stuff, f'g up other stuff while trying to fix a problem, that is the worst of the worst. Why didn't you use one of your many guns on em...

I use one of the two mobile mechanics in my area that both used to work for Iron Technics, our local supplier of forestry equipment. Gary has a fully equipped truck, and also a boom truck if he has to lift something...;like the chipper disc when it went bad..... $60 man hour, and he has extensive experience with just about all the forestry equipment that folks run out here.

The other day, my brake system developed a noise, on the way to the day's job, which was within 3 miles of Gary's home. I left him a message, hoping he'd still be at home (he doesn't work out of a shop, only mobile). !0 minutes after I got to the job, there he was. Fixed the problem in 10 minutes, as he had the needed part! Awesome service!

Back