Good Mechanics, worth their weight in platinum?

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Just curious what y'all do for mechanical work on your tree trucks and equipment.

A truly good mechanic, meaning highly competent, experienced, skilled, clean and neat, responsive, not located hours away, is, essentially, non existent in my area. Makes life difficult. I generally don't want to do the work myself cuz I should be cutting trees instead of working on equipment, and therefore I definitely don't have a lot of experience As they say, you either make payments or repairs. The good thing about making payments is you are working instead of wasting time. I've only known one truly good mechanic, and he is the number 1 mechanic, out of approx 100 mechanics at HO Penn Cat dealership. He's only been at it 20 years but he is a monster at diagnosing and fixing tricky problems. Cat manufacturer has called on him before to sort things out with new machines. When he shows up to work on your chipper, you can breathe a sigh of relief, cuz he will find out exactly what is wrong, whether it requires a lap top or a creeper.

Of course he is the gold standard. A good mechanic doestnt need to measure all the way up to him to fix the common problems, but he's gotta be a lot better than what I work with. And I am happy to pay what it's worth. there were some good mechanics at the JD dealership that I used to go to when I had JD stuff. They were always rather expensive but they fixed it right the first time, no BS.

Mechanics are probably like tree guys and most other things, they follow the 80/20 rule.

Funny the timing of this. I just got off the phone less than an hr ago with my HD mechanic that isn't going to have my truck ready for tomorrow.

Lol and while I was typing that he called me back to let me know he'd be here first thing in the morning.

He's a great mechanic, I use him for all my medium duty or diesel stuff but he's tough to nail down.

I had a injector go in my cat 3126b in my boom and it's tore apart in my hayshed right now.

My guy is always fair with me but getting a schedule set with him is tough.

I do all 'lesser' mechanical work myself. My hobby, lol.

I just found a guy about 45 min away. $150/ hr if he comes my way, but $75/ if I go to him. Is excellent so far and has worked on whole tree chippers in the Maine woods.
Definitely hard to come by!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, you two have it licked.

The hayshed, that's another issue, if you don't have an inside place to work on it, that is fertile ground for tons of scheduling problems.

Yah, my shop only has 10' doors and 12' ceilings so boom work is in with the hay. My mechanic lives like 2 or 3 minutes from my house and is mobile so it works decent. He's like a good tree guy though, overrun with demand.

It's cool when you feel good about taking your something in need of repair to someone because you know that they will do a good job. I'm a chair mechanic sometimes, people will bring one to get a loose leg fixed or something, but invariably something else that they don't have in mind needs attention too. Not really my interest, especially chap stuff, but to oblige people. I despise repairing my own stuff, I can't charge, even when I know the leg suffered when the overweight son leaned back on the thing, or maybe even fell over! :( Few have really ever really admitted thet though. Chances are that when something is old enough to need being repaired, something else is close to it too. A good mechanic can evaluate that aspect, maybe give a heads up. At least a warning helps to know that you will also be spending money down the line.

When my Wood-Mizer was new, it had a defective exhaust manifold. After almost six months of frigging about with Milton Cat on warranty, Wood-Mizer hired HO Penn to come and fix it. Very prompt and professional. The bill for the service call and parts was over $1,600, which Wood-Mizer paid. I asked them isn't that warranty? They said yes, but Milton CAT has been balking at covering the repairs. WM paid the bill, and fought with CAT over it. They stopped offering CAT engines soon after. If I had CAT, I would definitely call HO Penn. In '08 it was $2.45/mile, something like $140/hr billed port to port.

There are a few good all purpose wrenches around here. One of them is under $100/hr with a service truck with full welding capability. I hate wrenching, but can't afford to hire anybody, so I do it myself, which is why it often doesn't get done right away.

I don't know why I even posted this thread. Its real simple: Have backups for each piece of equipment so when something breaks, you can keep going. Run all late model stuff. Have inside storage where stuff can be worked on at all hours/ in all weather. If you don't have all that, you gonna get screwed like a dog.

He's like a good tree guy though, overrun with demand.

Exactly.

It's cool when you feel good about taking your something in need of repair to someone because you know that they will do a good job.
:thumbup:
I'm a chair mechanic sometimes, people will bring one to get a loose leg fixed or something, but invariably something else that they don't have in mind needs attention too. Not really my interest, especially chap stuff, but to oblige people. I despise repairing my own stuff, I can't charge, even when I know the leg suffered when the overweight son leaned back on the thing. :( .

LOL!

Yeah Dave, it is a lot to keep up with. It actually boggles my mind how much work it takes to keep a 3 person company going.

I can stop in at my car mechanic's for a cup of coffee any old time, or if he hasn't drunk up all his beer, he will often offer me one of them. Nice guy, and very neat and professional technique. He used to work at a Toyota dealership, but got tired of being the go to guy for anything that other people couldn't handle, so he hung up his own sign.

I don't know why I even posted this thread. Its real simple: Have backups for each piece of equipment so when something breaks, you can keep going. Run all late model stuff. Have inside storage where stuff can be worked on at all hours/ in all weather. If you don't have all that, you gonna get screwed like a dog.

Yah that's how I run.:drink:

Lol, not likely. Skin of my teeth at times but I keep on keeping on.

Cool, Jay

I've known some mechanics who are decent but are fairly sloppy and dirty, and their trucks are like that too. But I much prefer dealing with the "neat and professional technique" guys. Ya know, the ones who are all but nonexistent.

I didn't know it was so rare. Knowing how to use a rag is important, ha! Speaking of which, I bought some shop paper towels recently, the first time. Always looked at them and wondered. A little more pricey than regular paper towels, but those things are cool!

Yeah, I keep on keeping on too, but holy f, I've got big jobs need to blow out pronto, and it's f'g tough with a chip truck half in the bag cuz of a simple steering box issue. You're probably saying, replace a steering box, what is hard about that.?? Exactly. Nothing. But into 2nd week of this BS and 2nd steering box and just endless screwing around, endless oil slicks, endless screwing around with buckets and zip ties and garbage can lids to keep oil off of custy's driveways cuz it aint their problem Ive got shitty mechanics…endless trips to parts store to buy more and more atf fluid. Doing lots of stuff besides cutting trees.:whine:

I have a rockin truck mechanic that hardly charges me and a super diesel shop that charges me good, but nails it in one shot.

Typical you:/:

It wasn't always this way and wont always be this way. Its just here and now Im in a good spot. Wont last forever. My diesel mechanic for equipment isn't fast though. Huge backlog at any time. Truck mechanic can be brutal too about his backlog. I have to cry loud and show him the tears to move up the line.

We have to do all the wrenching ourselves. Minimum of 6 hrs. to get mechanic here. Cat has gotten out of hand on their parts and repairs. Getting harder to stay in the wood business here.

Hey old Irish, good to see you here again.

I went to school for 4 years to earn a Bachelors of Diesel. For all four of those years I worked for a diesel mechanic. I have also had the pleasure of working along side the BEST Cat mechanic in the Northern Rockies. I am too busy/lazy to do all my own wrenching, but my hired man and I ( who has been a mechanic for the National Guard for 25 years) get about 95% of it done.

Ten years ago when I was still working for the diesel mechanic, a CaseIH dealer asked us to charge more to do an in-frame overhaul on an 855 Cummins. We could do one in eight hours if I had a set of heads rebuilt before hand. They were milking 40 hours out of an in frame.

I suppose it would be like any industry, do good work, do it right the first time, and charge a reasonable price. This idea of charging the crap out of someone for shitty work seems to be a business model that a lot of "mechanics". They would make more money charging less and doing better work.

Yah that's how I run.:drink:

Lol, not likely. Skin of my teeth at times but I keep on keeping on.

I hear that.

I try to have a couple disposal plans in case I have problems. Chipper is down, grapple truck or brush trailer. Dump truck is down, grapple truck or hope to chip on site, or chip into a trailer. Having a tow vehicle of one type or another is big now with the loader, but I can always hire a friend to haul it for me, if I'm somehow down to my small SUV. I got a hitch for it recently, so I can carry some stuff on a cargo platform (gas, saws, oily sharp stuff). A roof rack for poles, a roof box for whatever. I can tow a small 4x8 light duty trailer I have full of tools and rigging, as need be, once I get the towing wires on the Rover.

Having broken down equipment sucks, but is life.

Cory, sounds like a bit of an understatement about how you're suprised at how much it takes to keep a three man crew running. 3 men and iron, different story.

Cool post, FFZ

Back