Gerald Beranek donation thread (OLD THREAD!)

Donations for Jerry

• Yes!

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Hmmmmm...

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • No!

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I always seem to get the (check my age) short end of the stick.

Last edited:
Basically ended my career. But you know I was getting ready to retire anyway. The accident just hastened it.

I don't think that it ended your career Jer. I think that it just allowed you to look at other avenues of work such as The Working Climber Series as well as more books and assorted DVD's. Injuries suck, no doubt about it, but like they say when one door closes, another one opens up to other opportunities.

Keep up the great work. IMO you still have one hell of a career going!

Hey MB, I've been meaning to ask you how your foot is doing these days? Hope all is well with you.

I miss ya over on TB, but I understand.

You do? I sure don't. Tom D arbitrarily perm banned me for no reason at all. I'll be doing my best not to slap his face if we ever met.

My foot's OK, just weird nerve damage that I've gotta ignore.

I'm glad to hear that you're foot is doing ok. Injuries really suck, I know.

I had surgery on my elbow a couple of months ago for a torn tendon. Won't be climbing again until spring.

You've got a really good bunch of people over here on your site and even though I don't post here all the time, I sure like reading the different threads. Thanks for having such a nice place to hang out in.

You're most welcome, and spread the word - please!

Expound on your tendon injury! Was in in your forearm or upper arm? Not a torn bicep, eh? There's been a rash of that happening lately.

You're most welcome, and spread the word - please!

Expound on your tendon injury! Was in in your forearm or upper arm? Not a torn bicep, eh? There's been a rash of that happening lately.

I've been climbing for the last 3 years with chronic tendonitis on the inside of my right elbow. First got it after a heavy weightlifting workout and then having to do a lot of pole saw work the next day. Never gave it a chance to heal properly. I went to PT, had 4 cortisone shots (one every 9 months), took a crap load of anti-inflammatory pills.....nothing worked.

Finally went for an MRI which clearly showed the torn tendon (right in the area where your funny bone is). I waited until tree work slowed down around Thanksgiving time and went under the knife. Doctor had to open the arm wide open to remove the dead tissue, splice the torn tendon up and suture it back onto the bone. Stayed in a sling and splint for 5 weeks. I ended up getting an open bone sore that is still raw and sore. I'm doing PT daily now. Very light weights and lots of thera-band work. No climbing until spring, which really sucks, but I have to let it heal properly.

Sorry if I derailed the thread too much.

It's called medial epicondylitis..."golfer's elbow"...I'd rather get it like you did, not playing golf.

Glad you are on the mend...good to see you are following the PT docs orders.

Heck of an injury to recover from, Chris. Butch, and so many others alike. And yet you persevere to keep on working. Truly a trait of the Blue Collar Worker. The foundation of what makes this world work.

Everybody else would be up shirt-creek if it wasn't for us Blue Collars.

Heck of an injury to recover from, Chris. Butch, and so many others alike. And yet you persevere to keep on working. Truly a trait of the Blue Collar Worker. The foundation of what makes this world work.

Everybody else would be up shirt-creek if it wasn't for us Blue Collars.

Boy you got that right Jer. Without the Blue Collar Workers, we really would be in a world of hurt. I think that with all the outsourcing of white collar jobs to overseas firms that is going on these days, we will be seeing a rise in Blue Collar jobs taking place in the Good Old USA......at least I hope so.

My family comes from a long line of construction workers and my mom and dad taught us to have a really strong work ethic. I think that most tree workers are like that as well. After all, how can you stay in this industry if you don't like to work?

There are so many tree guys who have had much worse injuries than mine (such as Butch and yourself) that mine is nothing in comparison. I can't wait to come back. After all, we only get a chance to live, work, play and love on this great big rock for a short time, that we gotta try to make the most of it, and have some fun while we're at it

Your injury is no less debilatating, Chris, and all the injuries we incurr add up in the end.

You got that right about work ethic. Good bunch of hard working souls us Tree Guys

Glad to hear all is well with you Gerry and Butch, Chris sorry to hear about your tendon, injuries always suck. I feel for one of the guys i work for [Dan Stirman], I did a few jobs for him this week, he's still doing physical therapy for his hip.

Do you still rec climb? i didn't get to make it to the last west coast get together due to a canceled flight but I'm sure i can make the next one. Btw Gerry, your fundamentals book is a great book, its helped me a lot in my 8 years of climbing and still helps me to this day.

I guess the fellow you were mainly working for replaced you? Or, did he have to retire, too?

Last edited:
A few friends of mine knew about it and they went, they told me about it and I tried to get out there but lady luck just wasn't on my side.

Back