Gerald Beranek donation thread (OLD THREAD!)

Donations for Jerry

• Yes!

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Hmmmmm...

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • No!

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
I've been out of touch with the House lately. In fact the whole internet thing altogether. Nearly let my bills lapse. Email built up to pages and pages. Scary enough to pull the plug and say F it, I'm following Chip.

But me thinks I'm back track and on an even keel, Mate's. Caught up with the internet junk and had enough time to even check out the posts in earnest.

Thanks, Brian, and all you guys and gals of the House. Was it 4 years ago? That long, wow. You guys was pooling together to help me out when I wasn't even aware of what was going on. Til one morning Terri said, "Jer, you better take a look at this. There's a bunch of people pulling for ya. You better chime in and thank'em all" Been some great times since I have to admit.

And sure more to come.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad to have you here, Gerry! And good to hear you've got your shit together.

Four years - dayum. It's seems like just yesterday I was in excruciating agony, LOL.

I'm all for the better of it for sure.

Still a lot of posts I haven't had time to read, and probably not all of them I will, but I just found out Joey Cornell and an old friend Noah Kowlik died. Both young and able climbers. To go so young makes me wonder about the twists of fate, and life altogether. I climbed with both of those guys on separate occasions. Course they set the ropes for this old timer.

Very sorry to hear about Joey and Noah Jer. You're right, sometimes we just don't know what the fates are going to deal us. I guess we really do just have to take it one day at a time, as cliche as that sounds.

Damm. Took it the same way, scare't me there also, Glad you is OK Ger
Feel and enjoy all of the love to you from these tree guys
8)8)8) bunch of guys

Hey guys: Chiming in a little late here. Will someone inform me as to the nature of the injury that happened back in 07? I read something about "kicking a crane operators rear." Did some operator drop the log straight down on his foot or what. I met Jerry and his wife at the last flip-fest, and it was hard trying to play it cool while getting to talk to the only living hero I've ever had in my life.

Jerry had his foot crushed by a crane outrigger. His first post in this thread was his very first post from his first day on the forum.

Thanks Skwerl and M.B.--

It's amazing how long the new guys skate by on beginners luck--at times doing some of the stupidest things you've ever seen--without getting hurt, while some of the worst injuries happen to those who have already done this stuff a time or two.

Thank God both of you guys healed up tolerably.

Reflecting back on it, everyone was in a rush to get done and it really wasn't my job to get involved with unloading the logs. But I felt uncomfortable just standing around and not helping out. So I stepped in to help. And it changed my life. Basically ended my career. But you know I was getting ready to retire anyway. The accident just hastened it. Since then I've gained weight and spend a lot of time perusing my interests. This year I'm drawing my Social Security.

Real glad it didn't happen when I was younger.

Imma hold out as long as possible on the ss thang - at least 64, longer even, if I can. Aren't you taking a big hit drawing it so early?

Not really cuz my publishing income has netted me more SS in the last couple of years than if I kept working anyway. So I'm just resting on my laurels. So to speak. I heard said you never make up for the gain of waiting anyway.

Really? I thought you got more the longer you held out. I need to investigate this further.

You do get more. I believe Jerry is saying that when you weigh all the elements, waiting may not be to your advantage.

Well, if I need to draw it ASAP, then I surely will. I just hope I can hold off. Hell, that's less than 10 years and I feel fine. But, we shall see...

Making it to retirement age is something I never really thought too much about until the last couple of years. And I find it kind of neat to be taking steps towards it now.

Why's that, young Master Willie? You don't think they'll have it figured out by then?

I'm with you Willie - I'm not counting on SS to be there by the time I need it. It's possible Congress will stop using it as a slush fund to finance every pork barrel project they come up with, but I sorta doubt it. These days it's hard to have confidence in their ability to solve big problems like this.

I read somewhere that about 50% of the Vietnam war was paid for from the SS fund.

Wow on the Vietnam thing had not heard that. The latest SS fix is no changes for 55 yr olds and older, 54 and under big changes in eligibility dates $$ amounts.

Ger, it's great to hear that your camera and writing passions are paying off. Enjoy the time, sounds like a good gig, ya even have a sweet little sugar momma adding to your joy.

Back