Gecko spikes project

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I have a pair of Gecko spikes that I bought about 2-3 years ago. Apparently they are now sold with a cinch strap. Mine has the old simple wrap strap.

Anyone know of a way I can switch this to a cinch strap? Do they make a kit or something like that?

I called Sherrill and I got a simple, "no, you can't do it."

That's not the right answer! :P

Their website lists the manufacturer as "Distel Manufacturing" but I can't find a website on google.

Any thoughts? I think I'll need a huge 4" d-ring to do it myself, but I can't find anything like that online yet.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Holy crap that website has TONS of stuff!!! I can't find the piece I need....but MAN! I'm bookmarking that one.

love
nick

So many phone calls, emails, and website scourings later I've decided the rings I want, or anything that'll work is just not available. I'm now thinking welding might be an option.

I know there's some welders here- so let me know what you think...

Attachments

• gecko strap ring.png
    gecko strap ring.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 122
Removing the rivets that hold on the webbing won't be hard, but putting them back will be a slight challenge that I could use some help on. Some quick googling tells me that a rivet gun will run me about $50. I have a feeling that someone in LA has one...but how to find them?

Are there other option? I used to own a pair of rollerblades where the axle for the wheels was a rod threaded on the inside. You ran the rod (that had a screw head on one end) through the wheel, then a screw screwed into the threaded rod. That's what held the wheel on. I wonder if there is a tiny version of that that would work here. I bet with some loc-tite that would hold up just fine.

What do you think?

love
nick

Swell idea. I'll give it a shot. I haven't had good luck trying to get pieces of hardware from them in the past, but I'll give it a shot.

Nick you could also go to a leather shop or a tack shop. They should have small brass bolts that screw into a washer nut combo. They are used on bridles and other horse tack.

You need a sammich orrrrr something!
7_2_103v.gif

Why not sell them and upgrade to a new pair?

It'd probably be cheaper, certainly less headache.

the tack store is a good idea. is there one nearby?:lol: nick, im thinking the easiest way to do what you want will be a 3/4" x4" tube, cut off at 3/4" long and cleaned up so no sharp edges. its bigger than you want but will be strong. i may have some round stock in the shop thatwill work as well. 4" is long and may need to be hard steel to go that small. sounds fun, ill try8)

Why not sell them and upgrade to a new pair?

It'd probably be cheaper, certainly less headache.

Cheaper? No way. I will have to buy/acquire the rings. I'll have to buy some thing to replace the rivets. How much could that possibly cost? A new pr. of geckos would be well over $400.

And the headache part- this is a project! The headache is what it's all about :P

love
nick

I got a response from Buckingham:

Nick, we only sell the finished product due to liability reason.
Have a great and safe day.

Bummer.

hows this? seems stiff enough. let me know and ill make another

Attachments

• 200t 019.jpg
    200t 019.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 11
kinda hard to braze the small stuff smooth, i thinks its smooth enough though

My Geckos were only $325.00. Not well over $400.

But hey have fun.

Back