Gecko spikes project

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Willie- that rocks! Two questions- along the lines of what Burn said

1- If I filed the corners round, outside and inside to make it all neatened up, would it significantly weaken it?
2- I don't know anything about welding, but could you start with 1 rod, heat it up at the corners, then bend it to 90 degrees? I'm not sure if that is possible...but it seems like that would yield a cleaner finished product. Only one corner would have to be brazed (I learned a new word today!!)

SWEET!!!!!

love
nick

No- it doesn't need to be larger at all. It could actually be a little smaller if I wanted. The webbing isn't really "that" thick. But 1/4" should be just fine.

I get some heat I can make the bends tighter, im out of heat right now..

5 mins in the shop, havn't cleaned them up or anything, a little wider ring would make it easier to thread the webbing thru...

Attachments

• rings.jpg
    rings.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 14
nice jim, heres a couple pair. 3/16 dia and 1/4. on the way tommorrow. use em or lose em

Attachments

• 200t 021.jpg
    200t 021.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 8
Holy smokes!!!!! I must've missed this thread when Jim posted his pics.

Jim and Willie- can I have all of them to see what's the best ones? I'll gladly trade you guys for some splicing (or cash, if you prefer it).

Very cool!

I was at a mom-and-pop hardware store yesterday and they had a rivet gun for $22 and $8 for a mixed pack of rivets. Not bad. I'm going to hold out and see if I can find the screws that I want. Failing that, I know I can go right back and get the rivet gun if need be.

love
nick

Don't pick which one you like best yet, I've got a pair of pliers and a wire coat hanger.

Okay...I'll wait.

That was a close one. I almost swindled by these two so-called "welders."

Thanks, OM!

love
nick

My Geckos were only $325.00. Not well over $400.

But hey have fun.

They're going for $385 these days. I think I got mine for $325, too. Either way, so far the cost thing is WAYYYYY in favor of not buyin new ones- if I don't mind spending the time on it.

Back