Gear bag!!!

ATEC15

TreeHouser
Which to choose between these 2. I could go off of the reviews but both have 5 stars. Hmmm??? Anyone here uses them, what's your thoughts? I'm currently using a husky tool bag from Home Depot. I like that it has the wire top so it stays open, but it ain't fun packing it into the brush(duffle style) along with your chainsaw. Then needing to go back to get the gas, oil, pole pruner, etc...

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=331&item=15188

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=331&item=12302

I use a pelican with a handle and wheels those packs look nice But imho my pelican has lasted over six textile bags ive ripped or torn i like having seperate small easy to load and unload
20160317_184506.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That would be a hard one to haul on rough terrain

Lol u can throw it down hill its tough as nails. And has a lifetime warranty....did i mention it floats lol...they might sell a back pack version wouldnt be too hard to modify either..never like big heavy bags loaded up they are hard to carry..keep it light imo i dont carry it around or through brush only cArry what i need to tree. saddle ropebag and saw bout all i can carry at once. Rest ground guy or H.O can bring it to me.

Pelicans as well , biggest bestest part is complete protection / segregation of climb and rig gear from the Saws and fuels. Sharp things and fuel vapors away.

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

I've been happy with the Courant bag. It's been the missing link for our hardware storage. Seems to be pretty heavy duty, good zipper and nice straps. My rule is it's on the saddle or in the bag. I always got dis organized keeping the smaller hardware in the big open metolius bags and big totes.

Dollar store bag, I sewn on a zip pouch on the side, holds 3 quick links, wrench and a HH. I like light weight, inexpensive and compressible bags. If I have to carry anything for any distance I'll use a dolly or wheelbarrow, or sling bags on my bigshot poles over my shoulders.

But those previous bags look sweet.

IMG_20160323_100923.jpg

I smush most everything into a 7 gallon 'lumber liquidators' bucket with a gamma-seal lid on it. $12, waterproof, can throw it down a hill/through brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the Courant after seeing Bigtwig post it up in the OCGD thread. I didn't realize at first that it was leaning against a chip truck tire, not a pickup truck tire - its big. I love and wish I bought it sooner. It holds everything I climb with, throwline kit, saddle, lanyard, climbing rope, and all the hardware I might use - and its all organized. Nothing is left floating around in the bottom of a large duffel bag anymore. Plus it packs on your back so your hands are free to carry your other gear and it lays out flat so its super easy to get to anything in the bag when you need it.

They both look good, I don't think the other bag would bad choice, it looks pretty sweet, but the courant bag is cheaper, bombproof (I dropped a tree on mine, broke a caritool inside with no damage to the bag), and its super easy for your groundie to move the bag away from the tree to keep your gear out of the way. It looks like the Conterra stores the rope in the center compartment, vs using your rope bag in the Courant, which would lead to me leaving the bag at the base of the tree. I flop open my courant, put on my saddle with whatever hardware I think I'll need, grab my rope bag and walk to the tree.

I'm unhappy with my Courant cross pro. It has all but fallen apart in a yr. Two clips pulled out in the first month, one branch hit broke half a zipper and now the top and bottom pockets are literally disintegrating. I have only used it for lifeline and saddle since day one. Always dry and totally separate from everything else.
I'm going back to Metolius.

I wore out a few different cloth bags then went Pelican hard cases. Great company , Great cases , Lifetime Guaranteed ... Go ahead and drop a Tree on it , replacement is free. Even started a Pelican props thread here about last time I got a new one free.

I bought the Courant after seeing Bigtwig post it up in the OCGD thread. I didn't realize at first that it was leaning against a chip truck tire, not a pickup truck tire - its big. I love and wish I bought it sooner. It holds everything I climb with, throwline kit, saddle, lanyard, climbing rope, and all the hardware I might use - and its all organized. Nothing is left floating around in the bottom of a large duffel bag anymore. Plus it packs on your back so your hands are free to carry your other gear and it lays out flat so its super easy to get to anything in the bag when you need it.

They both look good, I don't think the other bag would bad choice, it looks pretty sweet, but the courant bag is cheaper, bombproof (I dropped a tree on mine, broke a caritool inside with no damage to the bag), and its super easy for your groundie to move the bag away from the tree to keep your gear out of the way. It looks like the Conterra stores the rope in the center compartment, vs using your rope bag in the Courant, which would lead to me leaving the bag at the base of the tree. I flop open my courant, put on my saddle with whatever hardware I think I'll need, grab my rope bag and walk to the tree.

Can you fit spikes in there also?

I guess I'll just stick to my husky tool bag for now. I fit my 120' rope, sequoia saddle, Buckingham spikes, and ce lanyard

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1450#detail

I've got this metolius pack and like it. I have my eyes on the courant bag though. I get really disorganized with just the one large compartment, and end up storing a bunch of gear on the ground while I'm climbing. Afraid I'm going to eventually lose some stuff. If you over pack the top lid compartment or clip too many things to the daisy chains the bag collapses and you can't flake your rope back in very easily. But it does hold all my gear and is indestructible. (holds 150 ft. of 11.5 mm rope, usaver, art snakeanchor, petzl throw line cube, new tribe onyx saddle, and various other small bits of kit).

Sounds like the courant bag gets mixed reviews on durability?

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1450#detail

I've got this metolius pack and like it. I have my eyes on the courant bag though. I get really disorganized with just the one large compartment, and end up storing a bunch of gear on the ground while I'm climbing. Afraid I'm going to eventually lose some stuff. If you over pack the top lid compartment or clip too many things to the daisy chains the bag collapses and you can't flake your rope back in very easily. But it does hold all my gear and is indestructible. (holds 150 ft. of 11.5 mm rope, usaver, art snakeanchor, petzl throw line cube, new tribe onyx saddle, and various other small bits of kit).

Sounds like the courant bag gets mixed reviews on durability?

I can speak for the metolius packs, too. I've got three. The one you linked, specifically I have thrown from a tree countless times working with cranes. No issues, Very strong bag..

As for the durability of the courant bag, I haven't had any wear any tear on mine that was unexpected, but I don't use mine as a rope bag, and I try to keep it clear of the work zone at all times, where as I never cared with the metolius and never had a problem.

Edit : Probably splitting hairs but I have the size smaller than the pack you linked, again I think all the metolius stuff is pretty bomb proof. Just lacked organized hardware storage so that's why I got the courant.

Saving for the Reach Bag myself. Been using a duffle type bag for years and want to try something new, well thought out and easier to hike into places. Pricey, but a lifetime guarantee... Seems a good value.
bag240-500.gif

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dl9E0XRYe5k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like a great bag if you have to hump stuff in...or don't have a trailer or covered/protected area to keep stuff organized.

$189 plus shipping sounds like a good investment.

Back