Gas leak

Yup. I bought two FS 55s for detail work and one came with a CAT. Same hours on each and the one with the CAT died first season. One was purchased in CA and the other not, within a month of each other, brand new.
The one with the CAT also used to burn up cables and wires. The exhaust vented out of the bottom instead of the top corner like the other w/o. Right over the wires and cable :|:

Magnus insists on bringing this up every 6 months. There is no Alkylate fuel in the US and that isn't the topic of the thread anyway. I simply expressed that the insane heat from the cat muffler will eventually damage the saw. The rest of the saw wasn't designed to be exposed to that much heat. The plastic shrouds melt, the brake handle melts and the piston and cylinder are exposed to entirely too much heat. On a car there is room to mount the catalytic converters several feet away from the motor with heat shields to protect the underside of the vehicle. There simply isn't room for that much isolation on a chainsaw. It's a bad idea that hurts more than it helps, but that never stopped lawmakers before. :roll:

On a 460 fitted with cat, the saw is built differently in order to make room around the cat.

I've never had anything melt in the two I've owned.

That said, you have to be aware that a cat muffler will stay hot WAY longer than an ordinary one.
So be careful what you put it next to in the truck.

It's rather amusing and has little to do with chainsaws but it does to cat mufflers in general .

When cat converters for automobiles were first enacted into law it was against the law for a dealer or muffler shop to remove it .However they sold "test " pipes to replace them but they couldn't install the item in their place of business . Just another method of skining the cat so to speak .

Ohio then nor now has a state inspection or emmisions test a car must pass every year so nobody was ever the wiser .I doubt on a modern automobile the thing would make much difference but early on with carburators it certainly did .For that matter with the EEC modual the damned car probabley would run lousey without a converter so it's a non issue these days.

I imagine on a saw though just like with any modification to the exhaust system it would require retuning the thing .

Well I guess this is supposed to be about a gas leak but as usual we collectively went askew a tad bit .

Back