Gas leak

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Our Jonsered 2152 seems to be leaking gas. I went to fill it up yesterday and notice gas running out all over the ground and I didn't miss the hole or overfill it. I then noticed the level of gas was down already. So I filled it up again. And again gas was running out onto the ground. Since I am a simple man, I filled it up several more times just to watch gas run all over the ground again and again. :|: So I finally gave up but I still dont know what is going on. I have not had the time to take anything apart on the saw so I dont have any more info. What do you guys think it could be? My fear is that its a cracked gas tank but I hope its just a hose that came loose or something simple like that.

Either the tank vent, leaky cap or the fuel line. If the tank was cracked then you'd probably remember when it happened.

Not to be a bearer of bad tidings but if you have a cracked tank you'd be better off replacing it .

I've repaired them but the fix is only temporary at best . Scott in I think Vermont might have a tank fairly reasonable .http://store.chainsawr.com/

Probably the grommet that the fuel line runs through leaving the tank-Tht is the usual source of Jonsy and Husky fuel leaks. Usually you just need to reseat the grommet in the hole.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope that is all it is. I have the saw in my garage and I hope to look at it this weekend.

Well I finally got around to looking at the saw yesterday and found that two separate lines came off. I am pretty sure that only one of them was actually leaking. One line came loose from the carburetor and the one that was leaking looked like it came off of the gas tank. Then end that came off was rectangular and it was a pain to get back on. I had to remove the handle and all of the anti-vibe rubbers to get enough play in the housing to gain access to where the line was supposed to connect.

As you can tell from my description above, I am not very knowledgeable about saws, but I really enjoy working on them and learning. The best part is that this repair didn't cost me a thing! Thanks for the help guys.

If it has two lines then evidently it has a primer bulb .The second line which is usually smaller would be the return line to the tank from the bulb .

I don't think I have seen any primers on these. From what I understand from the post, I think the second tube is a blind lead from tank vent.
It go in to the air filter manifold. It should be blocked there...

Yes it could be the tank vent indeed .

That 525 J-red I worked on I think had a bunch of lines coming off it .I'm pretty sure there might have been a return line but wrenching on so many saws I kinda loose what's what after a while .Oh for that matter it could have been the neighbors Makita as I was working on both about the same time .

It has a primer bulb and one of those lines might have been coming from that area now that you say that.

A 2152 with primer bulb? This was interesting! How old is it?
Could you post a pic of it? I would like to see were it is located

I guess its a new model in the last year or two. We bought it mis summer. I am not an expert in Jonsred though. This is the first time I have strayed away from Stihl.

I may easily be mistaken since I'm going strictly on my feeble memory, but see if anyone follows this:

The Husky 346xp has a little brother which I think is the 353. Slightly more displacement but less aggressive porting so a little less power, but otherwise identical to the xp without the xp price.

Jonny Red often numbers their models to match their orange twins, and on the 3 series saws they just replace the 3 with a 21.

So the 2153 should be a twin to the 346xp except for the piston and cylinder. And the 346xp has had a primer bulb for several years since they increased the displacement from 46 to 50cc.

On another note, that Jonny Red has the green gas cap. That means it has the catalytic muffler, which generates too much heat and will cook the piston within a couple years with regular use. Either gutting the muffler or replacing it with a non-cat muffler will greatly increase the life of your saw at the expense of releasing a few more carbon atoms into the atmosphere.

It is supposed to be the Husky 353 52cc I believe
353-413f85a6.png

http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/landowner/products/chainsaws/353/
http://norwalkpower.com/jonseredcs2152chainsawincludes3chainstotalcomparetohusqvarna353.aspx

I don't think the later version of 2152 is selling here, It is in the models list on internet, but I think it is replaced by 2153 in the store. That was the word when 2153 came anyway.
I never seen a 2152 with primer here! I doubt it can be ordered...

I think you are right, Brian.
These are all saws in same family.
Old 346 is 2147 replaced with 2153 that is the 346NE.
353 I think is the 2152.
These and many more is saws of same family that share same crank case.

346NE is not much different from 353, most different is the name that indicate 46cc, but is 52... Marketing at its best!

On another note, that Jonny Red has the green gas cap. That means it has the catalytic muffler, which generates too much heat and will cook the piston within a couple years with regular use. Either gutting the muffler or replacing it with a non-cat muffler will greatly increase the life of your saw at the expense of releasing a few more carbon atoms into the atmosphere.

The muffler on this saw is insanely hot. I had no idea that the green cap meant anything except it had a green cap. It maybe time to look into a new muffler then.

Once again if you want to enhance the power or performance of a saw you have to start with the muffler and work your way backwards .They can't make power if they can't burn fuel and they can't get fuel in if the exhaust system wouldn't let it out .In addition all a highly restricted muffler will do is eventually cook the piston .

Besides all that ,the reworking of the exhaust for all intents is "free" power . I've never had a "cat " muffler apart but given a half hour with a die grinder I'll bet I could get the job done .

But then it wouldn't be catalytic no more.

Cat mufflers are great when you run alkylate fuel. As soon as the saw is hot, you can't smell it at all.

Since I run saws long hours daily, that makes a difference to my lungs.

As for shortening the life of the saw, I have never noticed a difference, and I've run three 260 and two 460 Stihl cat saws untill they were worn out.

I doubt you smell it without cat either if saw runs properly. I can't smell it anyway..

Not sure if there is Alkylate in US now, I really doubt it...

But then it wouldn't be catalytic no more.

Cat mufflers are great when you run alkylate fuel. As soon as the saw is hot, you can't smell it at all.

Since I run saws long hours daily, that makes a difference to my lungs.

As for shortening the life of the saw, I have never noticed a difference, and I've run three 260 and two 460 Stihl cat saws untill they were worn out.
Apples and oranges .

Chances are you'll never know if the saw would have ran longer before it gave up the ghost . On the other hand most of us on this side of the big pond will never know about alkylate fuel .

Some of us run modified saws which you obviously do not . There in lies the big difference .No big deal one way or the other .:)

What, modified saws or alkylate fuel ???:lol:

Oh other than rebuilding carbs and replacing seals I don't know if it's as bad as most think with the ethanol in the fuel .Then again the stuff has either been in the gas so long or I've forgotten how the things are supposed to run to know the difference at this point in time .

I can tell you that a weed eater will burn up sooner with one than one without. But you are also talking about something running continuously at WOT for hours save for refueling.

Back