Fulminant Mulch Pneumonitis

simplypete

Treehouser
Anyone know of this condition? I seem to be getting it after messing with chips that have begun to heat and break down. It's a real pain in the azz and I am going to get some dust masks to see if that helps.

This from a guy who can smoke cigarettes and chip sycamore brush at the same time? I have been coughing quite a bit the last week or so, so has Mike. I think its the oak trees but I'm not certain. This wet, mild spring is making the pollen count go way up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have not talked to a doctor about it but my symtoms are 6 to 12 hours of fever/weird muscle cramps/and laboured breathing. Lasts over night. I have had it about 3 or 4 times over the last couple of years right after messing with chips that have sat at least over night in the truck.

Weird. Stop messing around with your chips. Do you need a hand with anything?

I read part of that article... you're going to die Pete. Sorry dude. Can I have your loader when your gone?

well I don't need a hand with anything. Thanks, nonetheless. I just don't like throwing stuff in the dump that has value and paying for it to boot. I am spreading the chips throughout a property to keep weeds down. I'm going to get some of those dust masks and see if that makes a difference.

FWIW I find that smoking a good cigar seems to alleviate the symptoms and serve as an inexpensve "cure".

When I was the noobie workin for Boulder Tree I would often have to get the stuck chips from the back of the truck the next day. Why it didn't get dumped is beyond me. I had the same symptoms that night. Fever would sometimes make me see things. We called it chip flu, for lack of a better name. Most of us got it once in a while. I don't leave chips in my truck overnight now. Masks don't help in my experience.

yea Burnham I don't think fungus growing in your lungs is a good thing. I am going to be extra careful from now on. Oh, also I do believe that some people are more susceptible to it. Not being able to create a certain chemical in the lungs that is able to combat the fungus. If you read up on the link provided or google the stuff you will find little research and little information on the stuff.

Back