Friction Savers???

Doing a little false removal is key. If that doesn't work smoothly then I will take a full wrap around the stem just above the desired crotch.

I do that as well if I question the removal of my FS. Once I get to my TIP, I double check if it will pull out by making the motion downward on the FS. If it is a struggle I find an alternative.

Why wouldn't it work to just pull down on the throw line again if the big ring gets stuck? I haven't used the RG type much but I can't see how it wouldn't work if your throw line was attached to your retrieval ball. I may have to try it out one of these days

0-3642d0a3-800.jpg

0-ada25c85-800.jpg

My RG is the old version but it works in the same way. When you are removing the RG ,the pulley comes out of the ring when the retrieval ball gets stuck in that black shakle (not sure if shakle is the right term in english).You cannot retrieve it with a throw line the way you do with a normal FS. It would be a mess. I think it wouldn't even come down. You need a double snapper. So since it's not possible to retrieve it in the conventional way with the throw line, it doesn't even exist the chance to put the pulley back in the ring. :)

Last edited:
Y'all are using stuff that is way too complicated if you can't back out with an attached throwline and give it a second go...imo :).

OK, I follow you now, it would be a bit of a mess. I have never used a double snapper so not sure how that part would work.

Burnham, they are very nice on a spar.

ON the double snapper part I'm with you Burnham...actually since I broke its cap I haven't replaced it yet (lazy...)
I'll have to replace it 'cause now I have to climb up all the time to free my RG or have to use my standard FS.
Like Willie was saying they are very nice for removals. What I like is also the pulley system.
ON large trees, where you have to work a lot in the periphery of the canopy, doing long limbwalking and a lot of yo-yo, it makes you save a lot of energy combined with a foot ascender.
I'm with you about keeping it as simple as possible. That's the way I try to keep my climbing system.

Willie, take a look at that link, it's very clear. Anyway those are just drawings, reality isn't always that smooth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I FINALLY tested the conduit one yesterday. It worked great! it was super smooth, no damage or wear on the rope,. No damage to the FS itself. An all around success I would say.

Installation and removal was a breeze, I used the method mentioned in this thread for setting the leather ones with a slipknot. It took about 30 seconds longer than setting the rope without it.

Really happy with the whole project.

Scott PM'd me about a pic of the three strand FS.

Not sure how to attatch a pic to a PM so here goes on the forum.

The small loopie is for rigging, I put that together and freaking love it. Small, 1,000lb WLL, and easily kept on my saddle.

Attachments

• DSC00440.jpg
    DSC00440.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 27
That's probably only 24"...I need to make a 36" to girth hitch to a crane shackle. Those are steel, I'm scared about aluminum for life support these days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok so I am back to trying out the FS thing. As I said before I made some of the conduit ones, but ended up getting hit in the face and always worried about tearing into the inside of the metal bending it to tight on a small TIP.

Saw the U-saver videos on the Buzz http://www.youtube.com/user/tghoffmann?feature=watch and liked the ability to choke the system off as well as the adjustable nature of the whole thing.

Some pictures:
my-saver.jpg

my-saver 2.jpg

And a quick 90 seconds off my phone.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bZB6A0YZL64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We will see if I like this iteration of FS better, when I used one (a ring and ring) the first time I never gave it much of a chance and it wasnt mine so I didnt get a lot of time on it either.

So that's what a Nick sounds and looks like. I always like seeing people that we interact with, and putting a voice to the text is cool, too.

Similar with Skwerl's owl pics. I said to myself, "Self, ahh, so that's what a Skwerl looks like".

Back