Friction hitch and new rope?

Ken

Prospect
Okay, so I bought some 11mm rope and 8mm friction cord and I tied a schwabisch knot on it, but unless the knot is dressed and set really well it won't grab...obviously I'm concerned...how do I get these new ropes to grab each other better? Different knot? Scuff rope up a bit? Is it bad rope matchup? Wait for the ropes to break in a bit?

What should I do?
Thanks,
Ken

You might start by telling us the name of the rope and cord.

Then try putting an extra turn on your Schwabish.

Also it is this a new match for you, i.e you are experienced but just trying something new, or this is your first rope and hitch cord?
Sorry for the maybe dopey questions, but the more we know, the better we can help!

I'd put an extra turn too.

I like OP as a hitch cord, but it's stiff and a little slippery before it breaks in. I'll usually run an XT instead of a VT until it's broken in and more supple. Natural crotching will fuzz things up and help too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
New England 11mm...http://www.mec.ca/product/4001-886/...-rope/?No=0&h=10+50001+50635&f=10+50001+50635

And

Mammut 8mm static cord...http://www.mec.ca/product/0403-014/mammut-8mm-static-cord/?No=40&h=10+50001+50635&f=10+50001+50635

Maybe I should just buy some tenex rope for friction hitch, it's so supple, maybe it will grab better?

The reason I bought this rope is to use it for those little tree's and quick pruning jobs...and to belay a few kids in a tree or two...normally I use some 13mm blue streak and bee line...or spider jack...

Thanks guys for quick response...
Ken

P.S. Side note: Might buy a little chipper tomorrow so if anyone knows anything about the salsco 8420 I would appreciate some info...would prefer a good Bandit 6" but can't find one used under 10,000 (accept a few Junkers...)

Add an extra turn until everything is well worn in. Made all the difference for me. 5 wrap Distel grabs like a champ on new arbormaster (AP cord). Feeds pretty good too. . .

I'm with those suggesting an additional turn/wrap; - try the Michoacan hitch...
I don't like Tenex for hitch cords - too low a melting point; also, how 'stiff' is that Mammut cord? Most 'static' line is less-than-supple and thus not great for hitch cords.
I'd try Ocean Pacific, Beeline or HRC for hitch cord...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya Mammut cord is way to stiff! If the hitch loosens even a little it will not bite (not good!)...I may just use some old bee line and forget the Mammut cord...

Just the nature of knots as I remember it. needing constant attention.
I invested in two Lockjacks and a spiderjack and find it consistently grabs.I try rope on rope every month or so t osee what all i'm missin. and in the end go right back to mechanical split tails.

Rope on rope Is alot like manual transmissions-short clutch or long clutch or pwer shift if you can.
Either way enjoy the ride and be ready for those slip ups.

I make every size friction cord prusiks, and test them on everything.

The knots to know are Distal, VT and Swas etc..plus others, also a full twist helps on the briads.

Once you are out in the field and the sap and rain gets it, and 3 wrap distal can bite perfect on 8mm - on a perfect dry day a 5 wrap VT on 10mm OP is smooth and safe.

KMIII is a kernmantle rope with a tigthly woven cover (probaly a 32 strand or something) which makes it more ''slick''. This is great for ascenders, maybe not so much for a friction hitch. Most climbers I know will only use it for access, some maybe for single rope work positioning. I've never used it for a long period, but I did use HTP as an access rope for a few years. It would get really stiff and ''Wiry'' when rappelling. I don't think it will be great for DdRT, especially if you're not using a friction saver.

I don't know much about the cord you're using as a split tail except it isn't ''designed'' to be used in this manner. I would suggest you get some arborist climbing rope with some arborist hitch cord.

KMIII is a kernmantle rope with a tigthly woven cover (probaly a 32 strand or something) which makes it more ''slick''. This is great for ascenders, maybe not so much for a friction hitch. Most climbers I know will only use it for access, some maybe for single rope work positioning. I've never used it for a long period, but I did use HTP as an access rope for a few years. It would get really stiff and ''Wiry'' when rappelling. I don't think it will be great for DdRT, especially if you're not using a friction saver.

I don't know much about the cord you're using as a split tail except it isn't ''designed'' to be used in this manner. I would suggest you get some arborist climbing rope with some arborist hitch cord.

Exactly.

mobile...

Back