forum disclaimer

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
I just joined a paragliding forum to try and sell a friends glider for him and I had to read this disclaimer and I found it appropriate. Thought I would share

"
To join this forum, you need to agree to the following:

• I understand that paragliding is a sport in which passions are aroused. Emotions at times exceed rational thought. This can affect posting behaviour. I promise not to take any of this too personally. I acknowledge that the purpose of PG Forum is to share information and help others when we can.

• I understand that posting is restricted to paragliding, or paragliding related topics, though there is Cloudbase Cafe for those who can't resist. I will try to stay on topic.

• I understand that no one makes any money out of PG Forum, so I agree there is no point in threatening to sue anyone. I further understand that the moderators are just some pilots who choose to work on the forum without pay, and not part of any evil empire.

• Sometimes people may say bad things about other people. If they are not true, or unjustified, and they're about me, I will first say so myself in the relevant thread. In a really bad case, I will ask the moderators to have a look.

• I promise to use my first and last real name along with a username which can be anything. I understand that my real name will only be visible to other registered users while only my username will be visible to search engines and unregistered users. I understand that this requirement improves the quality of posting and exchange on the forum by increasing accountability for all of us. I understand that it was born of the experience of forums that don't have it, and not of any desire to invade my privacy. I understand that if I don't agree I am free to read the forum as an unregistered user. By registering I affirm that I am willing to stand behind what I say with my real name next to it and visible to other registered users.

• I won't ask to have posts deleted. I understand that forum policy is not to do that.

• If you want to leave the forum, you agree you will just stop visiting and posting. You understand that your real name, user name, and posts won't be deleted, so you will remember this each time before you hit the submit button that your posts will be durable. At all times your real name can only be seen by registered members logged on to the forum.

• Before I post, I promise to imagine saying what I've got to say in person to anyone who may read it. If they might smack me on the nose for saying it, I'll think about sleeping on it before posting. I understand that this is not the place for airing personal grievances.

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.

I agree not to post any abusive, obscene, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. I agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. As a user I agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

This forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any of the information you have entered above; they serve only to improve your viewing pleasure. The e-mail address is used only for confirming your registration details and password (and for sending new passwords should you forget your current one).

By clicking Register below I agree to be bound by these conditions.
"

I would call that a policy statement, and not a disclaimer.

I guess it is good to get some things right up front to clarify. Wonder if it helps bring order to that forum, I don't see how it could hurt.

It might be good to give a number to each rule, then when one gets violated, the moderator could just say, *See rule #... :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just thought the tounge and cheek of it was funny. I personally appreciate common sense, plain language. It was to the point, direct, and clear.

Having a good group hug photo that nobody likes, helps to eliminate the need for a lot of cautionaries or reprimands. Ours, you can almost smell the oil. :|:

Back