Forestry Service and the Humboldt Cut

It was a great discussion, i learned some things. I learn things from most threads, but especially ones Chris does.

I don't think any particular method is easier to learn than any of the others. It's more a matter of which one you learned first. After that, the others seem to be more difficult to learn. Does that make sense?
the last part about whichever you learn second may seem harder, but it's obvious to me that the way I cut the open face is far easier to learn and master than the Humboldt.

it would be fun to have put that teaching up against someone who teaches the Humboldt on 10 new students, split equally on who learns which technique first

The pulling chain in wood is actually an assist to upward movement of the bar, in my opinion and experience...it's not all push.

pulling tip of the bar during a plunge cut for sure... maybe a super sharp chain on a worked saw, but still no more or less pull tha when cutting top to bottom or horizontally, where gravity is helping or neutral

If felling cuts are hard, more practice/ experience is needed.

Felling cuts are just a mark of professionalism.

It takes time to learn proficiency, but then should require minimal thought, like throwing a throw line, ascending a rope, etc.

If something is hard, do it more.
Don't be the budging bicep-chicken leg weight lifter.

that's true, but if you have a big shot and are good with it, and you are more accurate and get better height than throwing by hand, is it still important to master the hand throw?

if you are proficient enough to set a line quickly by hand when needed on easier trees, and are sure to use the bigshot on harder jobs, you really don't need to get great with hand throws.

that's a pretty good analogy for me, with the few times I need to cut a Humboldt

On that note:
The apprentice said to me today: it is so neat to watch you fell and buck a tree.
Every cut simply just matches up, and you just dance along the log, making it look so easy.

So I told him: I've been doing this since -76, if I wasn't real good at it by now, there would be something wrong with me.

None the less, a bit of adulation from the young ones doesn't hurt :)

Nice. Thanks for posting that.

I'd like to peek inside that face. Particularly the far corner.

Likely it needed a lil touching up to make it perfect but the look of the pie that came out and the cutting that led to it looked mighty good to me.

I'm guessing he had his rakers somewhat high, or at least not low, to cut that pie out without too much kickback/chatter.

Since the far side was inaccessible due to the fence, it'd be nice to see the whole finished product of that hinge on the fallen butt.

Yeah, looked / sounded like the rakers were set a bit low. Happens.

Providing a wide open lay, and a willing favor to it, gutting the hinge would not be out of the question on that tree.

And with that saw that cottonweed could be on the ground in two minutes. Maybe 3

Billy Ray is a practical modern day Treeman. With all respect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was a great discussion, i learned some things. I learn things from most threads, but especially ones Chris does.
Thanks Kyle, and I feel the same about your post as well.
It was a great discussion.

Despite all nay-Sayers to the contrary, thank you, Chris, for presenting it.
Thanks Jer. It was certainly not my intent to have a derail, but I know that this often can happen...especially with a subject like the Humboldt cut!

Back