Fishing 2016

I'm not into fishing, but...

Is that small fish the norm?

It seems like that should be thrown back and allowed to grow bigger.

Or is that as big as they get?

I've read that some folks believe the smaller ones should be kept because they outnumber the bigger ones which should be thrown back because they are the ones doing more reproducing. Do you take any stock in that, Scott?

Ha, Idk about that, but what do you think of the idea of throwing back the big ones? I would daresay you are an expert on fishing.

Cory, certain rivers here like the Truckee River says you can only keep a 16" or bigger trout, anything smaller u throw back.....some stretches of river is catch and release only.

The rivers that are close to me is take any size but 5 is the limit.....

Some people think that about hunting as well Cory. Leave the bigger, stronger alone and shoot the smaller. Supposed to improve the gene pool I guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha, Idk about that, but what do you think of the idea of throwing back the big ones? I would daresay you are an expert on fishing.
And IDK about that expert on fishing stuff either! I release most big fish Cory not only because they are major spawners, but for genetics like Rich mentioned as well. I read once that the odds of a largemouth bass reaching ten pounds was astronomical, not just because of the age required, but most are just not genetically inclined to get that big. Growing up in the heart of big bass country, we caught a lot of 10+ pounders but I never killed one because of that. I fish mostly saltwater these days and feel the same about most species there. Most big fish are not as good to eat as smaller ones anyway so why kill one that has beat the odds and will pass on his big fish genes to the next generation?

For some reason the big ol' giant tuna don't seem to lose anything taste wise. It's one fish that they really need to give catching them a rest for ten years or so.

There are some pretty tight restrictions on the big bluefins but I don't know who enforces them outside the U.S. Big red snapper are very good too and they are basically overpopulated in southern waters so I don't have a problem keeping them when I catch 'em.

Good answers, Ray n Rich! Makes sense. We all gotta use a lil restraint so we don't shoot ourselves in the foot over the long term.

You Florida boys and girls (Gigi?)....how about big Jew Fish (grouper to some of you)...they get huge. Are the big ones good eating, too?

My uncle-in-law speared a 400+ pounder years ago...no tank, free diving/snorkeling. Had the head mounted...huge fish.

You guys see this river Salmon that Eric Clapton caught up in Iceland? A fly fisherman, apparently. Wonder if he released it?

Attachments

• eric-700x525-96a7644e-8325-4bea-91d8-a3ffd04deea9.jpg
    eric-700x525-96a7644e-8325-4bea-91d8-a3ffd04deea9.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 44
You Florida boys and girls (Gigi?)....how about big Jew Fish (grouper to some of you)...they get huge. Are the big ones good eating, too?

My uncle-in-law speared a 400+ pounder years ago...no tank, free diving/snorkeling. Had the head mounted...huge fish.
Gary, they're like a plague here and totally protected, another sore spot with fishermen in Florida. There are very few wrecks or rock piles, inshore and offshore that are not infested with them. Talking to those who ate the big ones when they were legal, no, they aren't very good with a lot of worms to boot. The smaller, 100 pounds and under fish on the other hand, are supposed to be outstanding. I'd like to find out.
Giant hook-jawed monster that is Jay! I read that he did indeed release it, that particular river is catch and release only. It doesn't look like an Atlantic Salmon but I didn't think they had any other species there.

Char are in the Salmonidae family but so are brown trout and that is definitely what it looks like. I have read that there are sea-run browns but didn't know they ventured that far north. Looking again at the markings, I'd say it's got to be a brown.

Boy I sure like fly fishing for trout so much better than spinning rod...fun trying to figure out which flies to use thru the day

027.jpg

017.jpg

Does it get thrown back?

You guys should set up a nice home aquarium and stock it with caught fish.

I'm thinking maybe a 90 gal long...

Back