First time on the gaffs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No line above. I was just going up then set and blow the top. Which at best, was 6".
I don't know that a line would have helped or hindered me. It might have just been something lse to keep track of?
I've got an Elm TD coming up, I may practice on it beforehand and see if I get more comfortable.

I remeberd hearing of people sticking themselves Butch, I did ake it a point to watch where I stuck them. Doesn't mean I wont do it though!

Just gotta remember to lean back.. We got several new guys, i was in a tree right next to one of them last week. I swung over to his tree and critiqued him the entire time. Might look better the next time. Silly ass wouldn't straighten his legs out.

I remember teasing one poor guy that wanted to be a climber but just didn't have what it took. He never could get comfortable in the tree. We called him 'koala bear' because that's what he looked like in a tree. :lol:

No line above. I was just going up then set and blow the top. Which at best, was 6".
I don't know that a line would have helped or hindered me. It might have just been something lse to keep track of?
I've got an Elm TD coming up, I may practice on it beforehand and see if I get more comfortable.

I remeberd hearing of people sticking themselves Butch, I did ake it a point to watch where I stuck them. Doesn't mean I wont do it though!

Well remember Sawin, tree gaffs put about a 3 inch deep hole in your foot, with pole gaffs however, the hole will only be about 2 inches deep.

I like poll gaffs myself in most trees.

Watch your step mate!

jomoco

Learning to climb has some nerve racking moments. really though, arent we all still learning every time we saddle up.

Thought of some thing Andy..... I know you have to be in a hurry when getting that firewood out and down. Should be some good climbers there to practice on. Maybe make a climb each time ya go, or take a day and play :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is a good thought Stephan!!! With the weather changing I won't be so hurried. Practice a little climbing on the ones I am going to slaughter anyway!! Maybe blow the tops on the ones that will want to hang and make life a little easier to boot!

I spiked spars nearly daily for five years, flipline and belt. Never spiked myself once, knock on wood.:) Practice, practice, practice.

I punched a hole through a brand new pair of boots.... and my heel last summer. OMG that hurt like hell!!!

Ha, I'm staring at my poster of Jerry spiking with a cast on his foot.... 150ft up!!!!

Jerry, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:big-not-worthy:

:rockon:

Buy the poster!!!

Attachments

• a1.JPG
    a1.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 81
  • a2.JPG
    a2.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 80
  • a3.JPG
    a3.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 80
  • a4.JPG
    a4.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 80
  • a5.JPG
    a5.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 14
  • a6.JPG
    a6.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 12
  • a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 80
  • signed.jpg
    signed.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 10
My first climb was spurring up a redwood and cutting tiny suckers.
Nothing like that though.

The only time I stuck myself was when I was about 6 months in,
I took a pine branch in half and didn't know about the limbs spring
board effect and it shot me off the limb and as I swung my spur got my inner thigh pretty deep.

Live and learn

The 090 and 084 were the only bid stihl saws capable of pushing a chain on a 6ffoot cannon bar, and supply it with enough bar oil via their bitchen manual oiler pumps to keep them cutting in bigwood.

I hate the MS880 running long bars with a passion because even with the automatic oiler set wide open, it can't supply enough bar oil to keep a 6 foot bar and chain happy and cutting.

Andreas Stihl would be rolling in his grave at some of the stupid upgrades his company has done to frustrate hard working woodsman that were happy at one time with with extra bar oil on demand.

Bring back the friggin auxilliary manual oiler on big stihl saws already!

jomoco

That is a good thought Stephan!!! With the weather changing I won't be so hurried. Practice a little climbing on the ones I am going to slaughter anyway!! Maybe blow the tops on the ones that will want to hang and make life a little easier to boot!

Exactly.... Just practice the climb and decent (no repel btw) before you blow a top. Then start with a small top... Stay out off the ugly sticks. Find a DBH you are comfortable with flipping your line on and standing on your spikes. Don't go too small unless you are practicing spiking like they do for pole work. Also Practice your alternate lanyard technique using your climb line for the second. Make some branch transitions etc...
That's how I started... Playing on the trees here and there that I had time to:)
The ones I was going to slaughter anyway on the property for gaffing were great as I had a variety to chose from ;)

Mine is in the middle of the biggest wall in my living room so that when I'm watching TV on my couch or on the laptop..... my favorite poster is right there for me to enjoy.... and be humbled by.:D

Attachments

• My favorite poster 001.jpg
    My favorite poster 001.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 17
  • My favorite poster 002.jpg
    My favorite poster 002.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 18

Only if you have someone with you Andy, I would not recommend it if you are alone out there. Hell it would take me 25 to 30 minutes to get there if something happened. That is if we were at the farm
Practice like a mad man just be safe. Just think about the what ifs. Remember I have seen you in action....:P

mighta been said earlier, but why not have somebody belay you. That way you can get in a lot more reps and build up some confidence. I used to do that for a contest we had and it also builds up some muscle at the same time while likely taking off some lbs. too as Jon said. Gotta lean back and stab when the tendency when concerned about peeling out is hugging in.

The 090 and 084 were the only bid stihl saws capable of pushing a chain on a 6ffoot cannon bar, and supply it with enough bar oil via their bitchen manual oiler pumps to keep them cutting in bigwood.

I hate the MS880 running long bars with a passion because even with the automatic oiler set wide open, it can't supply enough bar oil to keep a 6 foot bar and chain happy and cutting.

Andreas Stihl would be rolling in his grave at some of the stupid upgrades his company has done to frustrate hard working woodsman that were happy at one time with with extra bar oil on demand.

jomoco

My 088's oiler keeps up with the 72" bar. The aux oiler wouldn't hurt my feelings though.

Lastpick.jpg

jomoco

We have been debating the Stihl oilers before and apparently the problem with lack of oil is only on the models made for the american market.
My 880 runs through a tank of oil at the same speed it goes through a ank of gas.
And lubes a 60 inch bar running in hardwood with no problems.

Back