Final ground level cut on stump video?

Did you say "tight drop zone"? I was hoping this would come up, I shot this picture last week just for this purpose.

SmallDZ-1.jpg
That's about 5' between the service drop and the house and maybe 12' long, We put half of a 100' spreading white oak in that slot and speedlined the other side to the chipper. Now that I think about it, the speedline would've made some good video. But that's not an unusual drop zone around here, we get those a lot and some even tighter.

So see Daniel, when you go talking tight drop zones, you're videos aren't showing anything very tight.

Oh yeah... we broke one 1" branch on one of the cedars on the left side, that's it.

That indeed is a "tight drop zone"! Maybe I should have said "threading the needle" in my above post?

... so we have been doing the flush cutting of stumps all wrong , all this time (twenty five years of residential flush cuts keeping customers happy ... also correcting high stumps previously left by Hacks ) ... You must be right , your way is superior ... I just cant figure out why ...

Butch,
I AM 100 for 100 on that drop.. only reason the mats were down is because they were already there, for bridging the bucket truck.. They were left in case the log rolled after impact.. I vetoed other ideas to fall in other directions... Mostly casue it was easy to pick up from the street with the log loader.. two picks, no lawn damage.. short and sweet..

We've discussed the step cut here at the house before. I dropped the siberian elms with it. Its very rare to have to score the fiber break... with a high pull line , they usually just go with the pull. Anyhow as I reacall I had to explain the benefits and uses of this cut to all the self proclaimed experts here at the time. There are many advantages to its use, which are nnice to have in the bag when needed.

Hey we may not agree on cutting techniques so much but we do have on thing in common... You all think I'm an asshole, and I think the same about you!

I don't think your an asshole, heck I've never met you. I think you make easy things hard and I think you think too highly of your way of doing things. None of that makes you an asshole.

The problem is that you think you know more about cutting trees than every single one of us, without exception. And the vast majority of us laugh at the stupid mistakes you make because we have made similar mistakes ourselves in our learning process. But you cannot see it because you are blinded by your ego. We laugh at our own mistakes as well, but for us it is a continuous learning process. For you it is all about denial and pretending to be perfect. There is no room for somebody as perfect as you around here. Go away.

I'm perfect in every way! I've never made a mistake, I've never had a tree go the wrong way, I've never landed a branch on a house, I've never rutted a lawn, I've never blown out a driveway driving a skidsteer across it. Nothing bad ever happens to me! Yup, I'm Andy, perfect in every way!
That's my dream!
I've blown out driveways just driving skidsteers across them, I've had forms blow out on me on concrete pours that I've done for years! I've dropped a branch on a house, had to patch the hole and fix the gutters, thank God they were getting it re-roofed in a couple of weeks anyway! I've dropped tree's into other tree's, shit happens, I figured out how to get them down. I screwed up a large Hedge so badly I didn't know if I was ever going to get it down! I had an Oak barberchair and all but take my head off!
I've learned. But it's what I've learned that's most important! I don't know SHIT about ANYTHING! That's right, I don't have a clue, I fumbled through life this long thinking I had the world by the balls. Truth be told, it had me by the balls and could crush them at a whim!
Until you understand that, you wont be able to learn, sorry.

Just old Murph' again. Doing things the difficult way, just to be different!

Oh, I know I'm repeating myself here, but the facecut on that tree looked really bad!

Thats called a shaped face, sort of like a shaped explosive, claymore, you know

Hey we may not agree on cutting techniques so much but we do have on thing in common... You all think I'm an asshole, and I think the same about you!

Not me, i'm an f'n punk!

Guy-po climber, huh, all this time I have been saying it wrong

Yeah... but who's gonna give'em one? He looks scary as hell in that avatar!

Oh, I'm sure I could squeeze a hug out now and again.

I should have just left that post go on its own.

Yeah I'm not too sure I want to keep going with this conversation now that we're into asshugs and stuff.

Back