Felling with D. Douglas Dent

Back On Track;
This might seem a lil'wierd (but why change now).
Every physical displacement of space or force (even down to water, wind, sound, electric/magnetic etc. sineWave waveforms)..
>>from a single event as a cause, to then cascading outward many times in a cone of wide and far reaching of chained result(s)
i pass thru a cosine/sine translator to take pulse at that minimal layer point just above actual event itself, to see and forecast correctly things would not see otherwise.
>>this cos/sin layer becomes then a consistent pivotal layer passed thru, as it expands out to control and define so much more in chain
The single event itself is the deepest pivotal layer of the model of course
>>but becomes over time a most replaceable layer that always translates thru the cos/sin constant layer
>>so that cos/sin layer is most consistent named layer, and the event blurs to/ becomes simply a generic input to cos/sin layer
>>so name any generic event as layer_0 >> that then must pas thru this same pivotal cos/sin layer (layer_1) layer to view and define things best by
>>so numerically, the 1 single event translates to just the cos/sin duo as logically MUST be next inline layer (2 things from 1) before expands in cone out to rest
So, instead of going just by what eye(that can be fooled) says, i always transfer thru the cos/sin layer then expands to result chain.
>>purposeful re-wiring of usual eye to brain pathed understanding/views bod Naturally jumps to, to instead port thru purposefully the cos/sin layer
(This, to me is about what the Ancients tried to show/give from star rotations thru all else, not just a bunch of hard , counter-intuitive, mind bending, blurring wall of numbers)
Dent's lil'manual is a deep pivotal point layer also to me, commanding many expanding things from it's pivotal layer outward ...
From virtually any hinging event/topic, translating thru Dent's prison/principles (as a next layer above the single event)
>>has allowed me to see then most truly, the projected outcome in best wood (then degraded for species and condition within/bordered by that projected range)
>>in ways i don't think i'm smart enough to have seen before or in future, without these 'keys'/his concepts
i always and all ways found it consistent/ not contradiction from Gerry's descriptions and other writings found, anything else seen or experienced by me.
It was always the most comprehensively encompassing, to fewest points distillation, translating layer to use to go from (even projected/planned) event to projected result.
And even works backwards forensically to explain what went right/wrong etc. (as does my friend cos/sin layer).
Tho not a minimized layer to just 2 points cos/sin so neatly, Dent i think gave a minimal consideration pool needed none the less for this work!
>>As a vantaged viewing point, to take pulse/see what is going on from
(w/o breaking down further thru the cone expansion to cos/sin layer, leverages of spaced apart tension and compression etc.)
Certainly now, have built on and integrated those principles in all enough mite have my own models and understandings to point of instinct ;
built from these 'layers of understanding to port event thru'; but could not have found them w/o the foundations presented so well.
(but still confounded me at first, jest as cos/sin)
Constant internal thanks, praise and even rejoicing to Dent and the (other) Ancients ; for allowing me to 'peek behind the (mysterious )curtain',
for capturing down and preserving the structure of their understandings; so well, intently and generously as to even survive the time of their own passing(s);
so can humbly can catch up and build on them (some) just as simply as coral reefs do same(preserving structure to next gen !
Dent's lil'manual has given this much to me, TYSM sir /Dent !

Last edited:
Agreed 100% Kenny... and here's the thing... I would have never been on track to my present understanding without YOU and Dent... Because you tenaciously pointed to Dent's work and related it to other aspects of tree work. (like swinging the limb into the rigging etc) in a way that I would never have gotten by just reading Dent or Jerry. That understanding has opened a lot of doors... THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Great video Jed! Though I can't believe you didn't call me when you were in my neighborhood!

Agreed 100% Kenny... and here's the thing... I would have never been on track to my present understanding without YOU and Dent... Because you tenaciously pointed to Dent's work and related it to other aspects of tree work. (like swinging the limb into the rigging etc) in a way that I would never have gotten by just reading Dent or Jerry. That understanding has opened a lot of doors... THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Same here Murph. I big thanks goes out to the people who have helped mentor me!

As far as the swing Dutchman goes I've come to pretty clear understand understanding that it's better used on smaller trees with less mass.

When you take the far corner out of the hinge on a heavy tree it's almost certainly gonna settle down into that empty space of the kerf.

not so with a smaller tree in which case you haven't lost anything anything as far as the hinge fighting the lean goes.

Makes sense from a mass/weight perspective.

I wonder if Dent had ever seen or heard of a Sizwhell (or whatever it's called) cut. I'm STILL trying to track down the origin of this cut.

Back