EMERGENCY Tree Work 24hr.

Bixler

TreeHouser
Are you geared up and ready to go? What do you need for 'emergency' work? How do you manage it? The good and the bad? Flood lights, headlights, GRCS?

Heck, I'd wanna bring all my gear. As soon as you leave something, that's when you're gonna need it!

I basically never work at night. Either it can wait till daylight, or call the FD for tarping etc

My old plumbing boss got a call once in the middle of the night for an "emergency" at a house.

His reply was... "turn off the water, flush two aspirin and I will come look at it in the morning light".

I will clear driveways at night, but if you really think you want to sleep in that house after a tree hit it... You probably should check into more than a motel/hotel.

I have done a few things at night but come to decide that it can all wait until morning. I was nearly killed by a cable in a tree in the dark during an emergency storm job at night once. No amount of money will replace my kids not having a father. The worst a tree can do between the storm an morning is smash the house. If its that critical, the HO needs to stay elsewhere for the night. Houses can be replaced, I cant.

Yeah, the driveway and looking at the job is fine at nite, but not doing it. Makes you wonder about the hacks who trumpet 24 hour emergency work. If I were to actually work at nite, the pace would, out of necessity, be so slow, and the hourly price so high, nobody in their right mind would hire me at nite.

Utility guys work at nite. That is more doable and understandable than residential nite work.

The only time I would work at night is to clear a driveway so a car could get by, then come back when light and finish job for "double $$ time" :big-money:

I work for the city & we provide a 24/7 service. Our primary function is to keep the roads clear & trees that are hazzardous to the general public. I have dealt with some horrible trees at 3am on a wet & windy night. However if the tree can be left for the morning we do- we are not heroes & we would rather be in bed.
We usually run with a big chipper, 17ton wagon with nuckleboom crane. Head torches are a must & illumination from the vehicle is of massive benefit. The most vital thing to take is another competent treeman who you trust & is up to the job. Extra eyes are always needed as mistakes are too easily made

I don't advertise emergency response at all. I'll provide it if I can but I book to solid and far out to be bumping regular jobs for what most customers consider an 'emergency'.

Back