Electric Spider lifts?

MrTunaCat

Treehouser
Has anyone tried an electric driven spider lift? what kind of battery life do they have?
I'm in the market for used spider lift and there are so many electric spider lifts being sold. Which is not ideal but I'm curious what the battery life is like and if maybe getting another set of batteries would be enough.

I’ve rented electric Genie lifts in the past and I’m glad that was the past. Maybe battery technology has improved but it would not be a consideration for me unless it has an engine. My lift has three drive systems diesel engine as the primary operation, battery as the backup, and manual for when all else fails.

Dumb question... Can they be run off a generator? Kind of defeats the purpose and adds hassle, but if the price differential with petrol was great enough...

Can you give an example of an electric spider you're looking at? My first thought is you're looking for a budget lift that will have crap for parts availability/affordability and will turn into a money pit almost instantly.

MLE lifts have all electric lifts and are certainly not a low budget lift but are mainly used in building maintenance. I think MLE was bought out and has a new name. I was first introduced to them by one of their engineers who was a firewood customer.

I've never seen a battery powered lift. My Teupen had a plug-in option. 110 volt. I even bought 200 feet of heavy duty extension cords, but never used that option. Sold the lift, still have the cords, unused, in the box.

A friend has a JLG all electric lift. Only one I've seen. Seems to work well. It's pretty old.

Yeah, no. JLG is slowwwww not only to set up, but in movement. Only 30' horizontal reach on the 50' and you can't articulate each knuckle separately.
The motorized version is even slower..
Hydraulic valve somewhere on it is a regular replacement item. Might be a check valve. Was told by the maitenance dude that worked on them after the one I rented developed a pissing leak.
The Genie is a better lift. Faster set up and better aticulation.
The Nifty and some others are just better machines. Priced accodingly I am sure.

Kevin Hamm, "Game of Trees" on YouTube has an electric Dino lift, he seems to like it quite alot. Definitely seems tobuse it a bunch. You might reach out to him for his opinion.

Back